Author Topic: Laminated Windows  (Read 3539 times)

Pat

Laminated Windows
« on: January 02, 2002, 01:32:10 AM »
I recently purchased 1/4" laminated interior storm windows for my house.  I live on a busy street with heavy truck traffic.  The windows work wonderfully for most cars but there seems to be no improvement for low intensity car, SUV and commercial truck noises.  Is this inherent to the glass properties or should laminated glass work for both low and high intensity noises? I'm wondering if it may be related to the installation also--the windows are approximately 3" from the house's original windows (which are traditional vinyl clad double pane).  

bjnash

Re: Laminated Windows
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2002, 09:34:23 PM »
: I recently purchased 1/4" laminated interior storm windows for my house.  I live on a busy street with heavy truck traffic.  The windows work wonderfully for most cars but there seems to be no improvement for low intensity car, SUV and commercial truck noises.  Is this inherent to the glass properties or should laminated glass work for both low and high intensity noises? I'm wondering if it may be related to the installation also--the windows are approximately 3" from the house's original windows (which are traditional vinyl clad double pane).  
Such noise is really hard to control. Try gluing a 1/2" thickness of our acoustical closed cell foam around on the inside of the frame between the windows.  Also check the area beween the rough framing for the windows and the frame itself.  You'll need to remove molding to see if there is open air there.  If so, fill it with acoustical caulk and cover with lead tape before reinstalling the moldings.