Author Topic: Float tank soundproofing.  (Read 1572 times)

zerofloat

Float tank soundproofing.
« on: January 30, 2016, 04:35:25 AM »
Hi, Im designing a float tank with a fibreglass shell. I am at the stage where I’m sourcing materials for sound and thermal insulation design. Attached is a drawing where the space / cavity Is shown in (green) that I need to Insulate.

My idea is to use denser mineral wool which that I will cut into separate sections or pillows. I will then encase the pillows using sound glue and mass loaded vinyl. Please refer to cross section drawing (fig1)

Another idea I had was to use the same idea just with another section (shown in yellow of Fig 2) of a less denser foam or other sound proof material as to get better sound deadening quality.

I have a limited understanding of sound proofing theory other than I require the mass loaded vinyl for the lower frequencies and foam for the upper spectrum of frequencies and that sound finds it harder to move through varying densities. I.e  through a dense material -  then a less dense - and again through a dense material.

Id appreciate any recommendations with my design.

Many Thanks

Julian

supersoundproofing

• Administrator
  • I love Super Soundproofing!
    • Super Soundproofing Co
Re: Float tank soundproofing.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »
Mineral wool will work well, but recycled cotton batting might be better. http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/natural_fiber.htm  Comes in panels, too.
Super Soundproofing Co
www.soundproofing.org

anything