Author Topic: How bad is the tiple leaf effect?  (Read 861 times)

TheDude34

How bad is the tiple leaf effect?
« on: June 05, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Okay. So I bought a new house, and I'm trying to soundproof a small room so that I can record audiobooks and vocals. The room is 5 x 10. I have open walls--studs and insulation--on three sides, but the fourth has wooden planks on it that tie into the structure of the house. It seems someone added an addition onto the back of the house, and this wall used to be the outside wall of the old house. So I can't tear it down to the studs. The ceiling has the same problem. I first tried to install 2 pieces of 5/8's dywall on the ceiling and 4th wall, but the effect is minimal. Now I've built a literal room within a room, leaving 2 inch gaps on each wall and ceiling, but then read about the triple leaf effect, and now I'm not sure if that's the best way to go on that fourth wall and ceiling. The fourth wall and ceiling still have the double 5/8's drywall. I guess the question is: If I go with the 2 inch gap on that 4th wall and ceiling, what kind of problems will I have? I've read that the triple leaf is good, but not as effective as double leaf, and, if this is the case,  that would be okay, considering the only sounds coming from that wall will be a tv (no subwoofer), and people talking. But I've also read that a triple leaf can amplify at some frequencies I know that loaded vinyl barrier can help, but I'm afraid I'm over my budget as it is. I have already bought the materials (double 5/8's Drywall with Green Glue in between) for the new room-within-a-room-walls. Should I just leave three walls up and put Green Glue directly on drywall of old ceiling and 4th wall, eliminating the decoupling on those walls? Or keep the room-within-a-room concept? If anyone could help me I would be forever grateful, considering my wife is about to kill me for spending so much time on this room and not finishing the rest of the house.

anything