Author Topic: carpet cushions  (Read 3797 times)

Angela Bowman

carpet cushions
« on: January 09, 2002, 11:02:24 PM »
Which is more likely to stop sound coming from below: fiber carpet cushions or rubber?
I know that you also recommend the mass-loaded vinyl under carpeting, but I am going to hold off on that for now. Before I do anything as drastic as install carpeting on my beautiful wood floors I am going to put down a big area rug or carpet with a pad underneath; it's my hope that this will at least take the edge off the downstairs TV noise, which seems to have gotten a bit quieter.
Thanks. This site is wonderful.

bjnash

Re: carpet cushions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2002, 05:28:02 AM »
: Which is more likely to stop sound coming from below: fiber carpet cushions or rubber?
: I know that you also recommend the mass-loaded vinyl under carpeting, but I am going to hold off on that for now. Before I do anything as drastic as install carpeting on my beautiful wood floors I am going to put down a big area rug or carpet with a pad underneath; it's my hope that this will at least take the edge off the downstairs TV noise, which seems to have gotten a bit quieter.
: Thanks. This site is wonderful.
Thanks for the praise- Please let us know if this works out- we advise people that little can be done without covering the entire floor (or wall) and that the sound will "go around" their sound barrier.  It will be helpful to find out if this is not quite true!  

Angela Bowman

but wait
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2002, 04:20:01 PM »
You didn't answer the question about fiber vs. rubber carpet cushions. Any opinion on that?
I think, by the way, that I am going to put down a carpet piece that will cover the whole floor, although I won't have it installed. I'd like to be able to take it up. In your opinion, is that as good as having wall-to-wall installed? Will also take up the floor moulding and caulk around the floorboards if necessary.
Thanks.

Angela Bowman

but wait!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2002, 07:05:40 PM »
You didn't answer the question about fiber vs. rubber carpet cushions. Any opinion on that?
I think, by the way, that I am going to put down a carpet piece that will cover the whole floor, although I won't have
it installed. I'd like to be able to take it up. In your opinion, is that as good as having wall-to-wall installed? Will also
take up the floor moulding and caulk around the floorboards if necessary.
Thanks.

bjnash

Re: but wait
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2002, 02:19:43 AM »
: You didn't answer the question about fiber vs. rubber carpet cushions. Any opinion on that?
: I think, by the way, that I am going to put down a carpet piece that will cover the whole floor, although I won't have it installed. I'd like to be able to take it up. In your opinion, is that as good as having wall-to-wall installed? Will also take up the floor moulding and caulk around the floorboards if necessary.
: Thanks.
Wall to wall is best, but...  I think you mean carpet padding- the underlayment is important and we've been told that the "reform" padding works best.