Author Topic: Basement gym  (Read 4045 times)

eric aznar

Basement gym
« on: January 14, 2002, 02:15:45 PM »
I built a mini gym in my basement, and mounted a TV from the ceiling.   The ceiling mount is a aluminum frame, attached to the wood joists of the floor above.   The ceiling is completely exposed, and sound travels to the carpeted floor above, as well as into the heating duct work.   What can I use above and around the TV to soundproof a bit?  
This is not a terrible problem, but I would like the sound lessened.   Can I use common insulation?   Can I put something between the joists, and then put up acoustical tiles?
Please let me know so I can run on my treadmill, watch CNN and not disturb my wife on the 1st floor, and my kids on the 2nd floor!!
Thanks!

bjnash

Re: Basement gym
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2002, 04:23:24 AM »
: I built a mini gym in my basement, and mounted a TV from the ceiling.   The ceiling mount is a aluminum frame, attached to the wood joists of the floor above.   The ceiling is completely exposed, and sound travels to the carpeted floor above, as well as into the heating duct work.   What can I use above and around the TV to soundproof a bit?  
: This is not a terrible problem, but I would like the sound lessened.   Can I use common insulation?   Can I put something between the joists, and then put up acoustical tiles?
: Please let me know so I can run on my treadmill, watch CNN and not disturb my wife on the 1st floor, and my kids on the 2nd floor!!
: Thanks!

bjnash

Re: Basement gym
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2002, 04:33:12 AM »
: I built a mini gym in my basement, and mounted a TV from the ceiling.   The ceiling mount is a aluminum frame, attached to the wood joists of the floor above.   The ceiling is completely exposed, and sound travels to the carpeted floor above, as well as into the heating duct work.   What can I use above and around the TV to soundproof a bit?
No.  You probably can't.  The reason is that the sound is being transferred from your TV thru the bracketing.  You will need to isolate the TV in some way from the bracketing or from the upper floor joists.  <\b>
: This is not a terrible problem, but I would like the sound lessened.   Can I use common insulation?   Can I put something between the joists, and then put up acoustical tiles?
 This can be done but you cannot use common insulation.  Common insulation is thermal insulation with little acoustical qualities.  You can put something between the joists but it has to have acoustical qualities.  Acoustical tiles have little or no acoustical qualities.<\b>
: Please let me know so I can run on my treadmill, watch CNN and not disturb my wife on the 1st floor, and my kids on the 2nd floor!!
 This can be accomplished but is not going to be done simply and requires remodeling your ceiling (or floor)and it is not going to be cheap!
You may want to get a copy of the non-technical EPA reprint:  "Quieting in the Home", as a public service, we've reprinted it and it's available for just postage and the photo copying costs - $15 PP ($18 Foreign). You can order from the web site with your credit card! http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/EPAmanual.htm
Super Soundproofing Co, 1531 AVOHILL DR, VISTA, CA 92084-1325  PHONE: 760-749-7049  8-6 5 Days Only
: Thanks!

anything