Author Topic: Soundproofing to avoid Bass  (Read 5292 times)

Peter Bodenheimer

Soundproofing to avoid Bass
« on: April 22, 2003, 06:26:14 PM »
I recently purchased a house next to a neighborhood bar. While I assumed there would be noise living next to a bar, and I have had great cooperation from the owners, I am still getting a reasonable amount of bass coming into my bedroom.

I have been assessing my options and wonder if it is worthwhile to spend the money to do some soundproofing, either in the form of a fence between the property (there is an old wooden fence currently) or by adding material (matting, foam, special sheetrock). My questions are thus:

What are my options?

What sort of cost would I be looking at?

Is it even possible to kill the bass?

Where do I start?

Any help is appreciated.

Peter Bodenheimer

Boborther

Re: Soundproofing to avoid Bass
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 04:59:00 PM »
Peter,

For your fence to be effective at all, it needs to be at least 8 feet above the noise source. Blocking out Bass sounds is sometimes difficult as the bass sound wave is longer than the higher frequency sound waves.

There is a good chance that the bass sounds are penetrating through your bedroom window. Windows are usually the weak link in the soundproofing chain.

You might want to consider a window plug or a Magnet Seal window insert that would go on the inside of your window frame. Read more about the window plug and the Magnets Seal windows on the website www.soundproofing.org  If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to call. Thanks Peter.

Bob Orther

Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.

Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384

URL: www.soundproofing.org

e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org

For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything