Author Topic: Spring is right around the corner  (Read 6596 times)

Boborther

Spring is right around the corner
« on: April 16, 2003, 06:37:11 PM »
  Spring is here for a lot of the Country, and that means swimming pools and spas will be cranking up, and with the pump motors  making their usual humming noises, and high pitched whining noises, it might be time to think seriously about soundproofing.

Often times these pump noises are so bothersome that they make outdoor life during the summer months challenging to say the least. Quieting these noisy pumps can make your summer much more pleasant and can also keep the neighbors from complaining about your pool or Jacuzzi.

If these problems sound familiar, please give a call or post your message here on the forum, and we will be glad to offer some simple and cost effective solutions, and the materials to fix these problems.

Have a great summer, and enjoy your pool and Jacuzzi.

BJ Nash

Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.

Ph: (760) 752-3030FAX: (760) 752-3040

URL: www.soundproofing.org

e-mail: sales@soundproofing.org

For orders only (888) 942-7723

Tom Hirsz

Re: soundproofing a 3hp. thickness planer
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 02:59:19 PM »
I HAVE A SMALL (14X30) WOODWORKING SHOP IN AN OLD GROCERY STORE. IT HAS A RESIDENCE UPSTAIRS. MY NEIGHBOUR UP THERE DOESN'T MIND THE NOISE. HE'S A RENOVATOR.  THE OTHER DAY I INSTALLED A 1200 CFM CYCLONE DUST COLLECTOR TO MY MACHINERY VIA 6" METAL DUCTS. I PUT THE DC DOWN IN THE BASEMENT TO KEEP THE NOISE DOWN. NOW THE NOISE AT MY 15" PLANER IS UNBEARABLE. THE MANUFACTURER TOLD ME THIS IS DUE TO THE INCREASED AIR FLOW OVER THE SPINNING CUTTERS. I USED TO HAVE A FAIRLY QUIET SHOP....NOW IT JUST HOWLS WHEN THAT PLANER IS RUNNING. CAN I BUILD AN ENCLOSURE AROUND THIS MACHINE TO REDUCE THE HOWL? HOW CLOSE/TIGHT CAN IT BE IF SO (NEED SPACE)? WHAT TO BUILD IT FROM? SHOULD I WRAP THE DUCT FOR A FEW FEET? YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Boborther

Re: Spring is right around the corner
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 09:52:07 PM »
Tom,

You certainly can build an enclosure around the machine. You would want to allow for adequate ventilation, and then soundproof the enclosure with the SSP closed cell foam mat. I would recommend at least 1/2" to 1" thick.
 As for the ducting, you would use some of the closed cell foam wrapped around the outside of the ducting, and adhered with either contact cement or even ordinary duct tape. Lining the inside of this duct would also be helpful, but with the high velocity of air passing through that vent I am not sure if the foam mat would hold up.
Tom. please repost if I can help you further, and please do not hesitate to call if you need to talk to a soundproofing technician.

Bob Orther

Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384

e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org

david

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 05:36:00 PM »
hello there-maybe you guys can help me out.we have a noise problem with some pool equipment,but in this case,it is actually the high pitched "singing"of the blower motor for the pool heater.the noise only originates from the intake side of the unit.the heater is fully enclosed by a 8" brick wall,with a 4" cement roof in a small structure that houses the pool equipment.there is a 3'by 5' oppening,wich is how the sound escapes.i intend to build a door for it with a rigid foam insulation core and plywood construction,but i still need to provide plenty of combustion air and a vent in the top part of the building[the heater is vented out doors,of course].i'm worried the sound will just travel through the vent oppenings,and still be a problem after i construct the door.one thing i have considered is attempting to make a "muffler"of sorts that i can attach to the air intake,to muffle the noise right at the source.it would ,of course have to be very non restrictive for air movement.any ideas or suggestions from anyone?thanks very much
david

Ivor Parkes

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 05:51:50 PM »
 ;D

Greetings,

Last year I layed a deck over an old patio. This spring I bought a hot tub and placed it on the deck. The motor noise from the hot tub is too loud due to the conductivity of the decking. The cleaning cycling turns on the pump for 8 hours a day and we can hear it in our bedroom and I have not yet been assaulted by my neighbors but feel that may be iminent. One option is to cut out the deck and drop the tub onto the old patio. However, that is not my preference. Is there anything you have that I could place under the hot tub to mitigate the vibration and noise conduction? The hot tub when full weighs 5,000 pounds.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Boborther

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 07:40:20 PM »
David,

You have the right idea with the muffler over the intake of the blower motor section of your pool pump. This would actually quell the high pitched sound right at it's source, and that is always desirable when soundproofing.
Soundproofing the door to the pump room is also a good idea, but I would suggest a layer of the closed cell foam mat adhered right on the inside surface of the door (the part of the door that faces the pump).
 This foam is both a block and and absorbtion material and would be effective at quelling a large amount of the high pitched sounds eminating from the pumps intake.
Dave, let me know if you need further information on the closed cell foam and it's application, and I will be more than happy to help you. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther

Boborther

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 08:22:16 PM »
Ivor,

The only thing I can think of would be to have a large (hot tub sized) vibration pad fabricated for beneath the hot tub itself. If you were able to get measurements for thios area, we might be able to have this custom ordered for you.
Ivor, keep in mind that wood transmits sound at more that 1200 times greater than ambient air does. That wood deck is in a way amplifying the hot tub motor sounds, simply because of the great conductivity of the wooden deck itself.
Another thing that would be helpful would be to place a layer of the mass loaded vinyl beneath the hot tubs which would isolate much of the pump motor sound from being transimtted into the wooden deck.
The MLV along with the large vibration pad would most likely give you all the vibration  protection you will need to keep your neighbors and you family happy this summer.
Ivor, I hope these suggestions help you. Give me a call and I will see if I can get the large Vibration pad from the manufacturer.  Also, you might be able to put the hot tub up on several of the 6" vibration pads. My only concern is the 5000 lb weight of the hot tub.
Thanks for you post Ivor.

Bob Orther