Author Topic: soundproofing existing hardwood floor  (Read 18 times)

mg448

soundproofing existing hardwood floor
« on: Yesterday at 01:41:54 AM »
My wife and I just bought an old farmhouse. We're doing some renovations before we move in, and we discovered an issue we didn't think of before. The bedrooms are up stairs and the flooring up there is 1 1/8" spruce planks, tongue and groove joinery, were laid over 6"x8" beams to make the downstairs ceiling and the upstairs floor.  One layer of wood with gaps is all that separates our bedroom from the kitchen and dining room.  My wife is a light sleeper and we're worried that this is going to be an issue.  You can hear everything through the floor now.  There is no furniture in the house yet, but I expect even with curtains, a few rugs and furniture there will still be a lot of noise coming into the bedroom from down below.

Seems to me that there are 2 solutions.  The more effective one would probably be to cover up the downstairs ceiling by sheet rocking between the beams and filling the void with 3" or so of rock wool or something similar.  I hate to cover up that ceiling though.  The only other option I can think of is to lay a floating floor above the floor in the bedroom with an insulating layer below it.  We're not trying to dampen foot step noise on the floor. We're trying to dampen sounds from coming up from down below.  Would a 1/4" cork layer under an engineered hardwood floating floor help with this? Or is there something that would work better than cork?

Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks

anything