Author Topic: Upstairs neighbirs noisy  (Read 2843 times)

Allison

Upstairs neighbirs noisy
« on: January 25, 2002, 11:15:09 PM »
I live on the first floor of an apartment that was built in 1930s.  My upstairs neighbors have hardwood floors and no carpeting.  They are very noisy all day and night.  Any suggestions on how to make my ceiling soundproof? I don't want to do anything that would require damaging the walls or ceiling or anything that would require construction since I don't own the building and my landlord will not do anything to fix the noise problem. My apartment is about 600 square feet.

Russ

Re: Upstairs neighbirs noisy
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 12:52:40 AM »
: I once had this problem. Don't look for others (landlords', co-op boards', or the noisy tenants) to fix anything for you. They don't give a s***.
The problem can be solved very easily: give the upstairs neighbors the same headaches they give you. When they are asleep, simply bang on your ceiling (under their bedroom) with the end of a broomstick or baseball bat. You can do this in a manner that will not damage the plaster of your ceiling, but it will sure as hell wake them up, and keep them up. Let them know that as long as you don't have peace and quiet, neither will they.
Another tactic that works well: attach a wall shelf on the upper wall of your bedroom, near the ceiling. Put a nice sized stereo speaker on the shelf. Get a good length of wire and attach it to your stereo. Blast a disco song with lots of "boom, boom, boom" for about 30 seconds at 3am. I guarantee you this will get your noisy neighbors to sit up and take notice.
Other neighbors, the landlord, a co-op board member, police, whoever, comes to your door to complain - just deny everything. Play the same game as the jerks upstairs. So even if these spite tactics don't induce them to quiet down, at least you'll make sure that they are as miserable as you are!

anything