Soundproofing Forum Topics > Soundproofing Windows and Doors

Split panes and 2'' air gap

(1/1)

neycer:
Hi,

I recently moved into a new house. It is only a few feet away from a road, as you can see in the picture I attached. The road is not super busy, but cars can still drive around 40mph, so the noise is very noticeable in the room.
I've read many posts on this forum and want to try this solution.

My window is a 4 feet (height) by 6 feet (width). It's an Andersen casement double-pane window. It has 3 panels: two on the side are 16 inches width, and one in the middle is 24 inches. (See attached picture 1)
My current plan is to remove the insect screens and install the 3/8" acrylic window. It should give me about 2'' air gap (See attached picture 2 for frame for insect screens).

First of all, does this sound like a reasonable plan? How much noise reduction (traffic noise) would I gain from this?
Also how easy is it to install the mounting the magnetseal: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/magnetseal_windows.htm onto the insect screen frames?
It seems that I'll have to do "Recessed" installation?

Thanks!

Randy S:
As long as the cranks do not interfere with the recessed installation this should work just fine as one large insert.
As for reduction goes with a 2" air gap and 3/8" acrylic you should see 50% or greater reduction.

Randy S.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version