Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our forum specially upgraded for faster searching and a higher level of soundproofing information.

Your question may have already been answered!
Use your KEYWORD in our search function before posting a query!
This forum is operated as a public service by the Super Soundproofing Co, whose experts are standing by to help you with any soundproofing situation.

Author Topic: Soundproofing large windows against 70dB?  (Read 2923 times)

MicahZoltu

Soundproofing large windows against 70dB?
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »

As many people here, I have a noisy neighbor problem.  In this case, they are of the night-club/karaoke variety to the tune of 70dB - 80dB as measured outside my window.  Unfortunately, the country I live in does not have noise regulations that will help me, so I need a "help myself" solution.  The biggest problem is the base/drums, the current windows block out everything else well enough so I need something to help with the low frequency noises.

A couple problems I have run into while researching:

1. My windows are quite large, ~2.5m x 1.6m (~8' x 5').
2. I do need to be able to _open_ the windows from time to time to air out the unit.  I don't need to be able to see out the windows while they are closed though, and in fact I currently have black-out blinds installed that are closed 98% of the time to block out light.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for a solution that can deal with that level of noise?  It seems like most people are trying to block out street traffic noise and whatnot, rather than an open-air night club within line-of-sight of the room.  The building is a high-rise with nice thick concrete walls, and I'm reasonably confident that the problem is solely the windows, and not the walls.  Also, due to my location whatever solution I come up with will likely need to be implemented by me (with the help of a contractor potentially) since I have been unable to find professional sound proofing services in the area.  I don't mind putting in the effort, but any solution that requires custom parts built in a factory designed for this type of thing is probably non-starter.

Randy S

Re: Soundproofing large windows against 70dB?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »

install a second window with the greatest air gap you can acquire, since your walls are concrete you should be able to achieve 2-3" of air space between the existing window and a new window.

Randy S.

MicahZoltu

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 04:24:12 AM »

The way the current windows are installed, I can probably get ~3" of space between the current window and the second window.  Do you think that will that be enough to give me the necessary sound reduction, particularly of low-frequency noise?  I could probably get another 1" if I un-mount the windows and push them out a bit (at the moment there is a lip outside the window as well as inside due to mounting the windows in the middle-ish of the frame).  If I could get 4", do you think that will be effective at stopping low-frequency noise?

Randy S

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:06:24 PM »

Yes it would especially for lower frequencies.
The only thing that would alter my statement would be cost vs reduction.
The gains for another inch would be estimated at 6 STC additional points so as long as the cost of moving the existing window out further was not double the cost go for it.

Randy S.