Super Soundproofing Community Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need an answer right now? Go to http://soundproofing.org, or,  FEEDBACK

Or call us toll-free at 888-942-7723 8-5 Pacific time Weekdays. 

If we're not in, send a email to supersoundproofing@gmail.com

You can get a free report on soundproofing by going  HERE

MAINSITE

Author Topic: Need advice on a soundproofing plug for door frame  (Read 672 times)

danielsomers

Need advice on a soundproofing plug for door frame
« on: December 11, 2019, 02:43:16 AM »

Hello, I'm so glad to have found this forum! I'm making a plug to go into a doorframe where there's a sliding, hollow-core door with gaps all around on the sides and so there might as well be no wall, as far as sound is concerned.

I had a piece of 5/8" plywood cut just a little smaller than the opening, but it turns out the opening is less uniform than I thought. Plan was to make a rubber gasket with adhesive weather sealing and slide the plug into place. But it's too tight in a couple of spots and just won't go in. I can see two options. 1, trim the plywood so it'll fit, but I'm concerned the gap will then be too large in places and hard to fill with the gasket. 2, keep it as is, use the rubber where it fits, and then get some calk for the narrow places where the rubber gasket won't fit. But that could turn out kind of half-assed, I'm afraid.

It seemed like a good plan, but I'm having doubts and would love any advice. Oh: I've also ordered some high-density, closed cell foam weather stripping to fill the gaps around the existing hollow-core door, so hopelly that also will be of some benefit and I'll end up with two sealed layers, with a couple of inches of air space between. Thanks!