Author Topic: Soundproofing between upstairs neighbor without scraping popcorn ceiling  (Read 648 times)

walamoonbeam

I have a unique situation where I live in a 1bd apartment with thin walls, and my landlord is willing to work with me, and implement a solution with the research I’ve done.

The noise: I can hear a lot from my upstairs neighbors. I can hear them when they talk decently loud with each other. I can hear every step they make (they’re heel walkers). I can even hear them when they get busy in the bedroom.

The caveats: I have a popcorn ceiling which my landlord really doesn’t want to scrape away as he doesn’t know if it has asbestos, which would be an expensive process. It seems like sealing the popcorn ceiling in is my best bet. Additionally my landlord doesn’t know the stud configuration, so I don’t know what kind of decoupling I already have. Whatever it is, it’s not good lol.

My current plan:
First I want to seal any small ceiling holes. I can’t really see where holes are though since it’s popcorn. I do see a few sort of obvious looking places though where it looks like screws may have been before.

Next I’m thinking of screwing strapping on the ceiling (1x3), and then doing a resilient channel and clip system. I could use some advice here. I don’t know how well this will work. Also, is it worth doing some MLV sheets between the strapping and the channels?

Next I’ll screw a piece of 5/8” Type X drywall, and green glue it to another 5/8” piece of drywall.

I’ll do all the same to my shared wall.

I could use some advice on how to finish the wall, if that makes a significant difference.

Thanks in advance!