Author Topic: BJ Nash and Other Soundproof Org ---please help!  (Read 3431 times)

Jon W-B

BJ Nash and Other Soundproof Org ---please help!
« on: February 12, 2002, 01:24:20 PM »
Hello!
I have a few soundproofing questions.  I recently built a false wall in the breakfast room of my townhouse and while it did help tremendously, I can hear the noise more, now, in the next room that shares that common "firewall".
I was also laying in bed last night and could hear the neighbors on the other side moving clothes in the closet off their master bath and heard them dropping shoes on the floor.
I'm trying to decide what's a more wise decision here...build walls or move.
Obviously neither is going to be a cheap option but I cannot be going aroung my townhouse and taking away 10" to 1 foot of wall space on each side to get adequate dead air space and  installing sound insulating materials correctly.
I think if we could get rid of the noise in the dining room and bedroom, we could last there a little bit longer, its just determining the cost of peace of mind.
The neighbor on that side is just out of college and likes to have people over for keg parties and to show off his stereo equipment that probably cost more than my first car.  They even have speaker wire hanging out the rear windows (yeah its classy, I know) so they can power their speakers on the lower level and in their mid level sun room.  
I have learned from the builder that the firewall is basically 4" thick and has a metal plate that runs through the middle---which must be acting like a giant conductor.  In my dining room and in my master bedroom, directly above, there is a stud wall that if it is separated from the firewall, is separated by a hair.
What would you do if this was your home and you wanted to get rid of the bass volume?  I would assume that once you block that type of noise, the other noises--like hearing them in their closet--would go away as well.
I'd appreciate a cost estimate for the products you recommend.
The wall in the master bedroom/sitting room is 22 x 8 and the wall in the dining room is 12 x 9.
Thank you in advance.

G Meader

Re: BJ Nash and Other Soundproof Org ---please help!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 05:34:38 PM »
These are my questions too. BJ please tell us what to do! I'm planning on working in stages on my living room wall until the noise from my next door neighbor's stereo bass is no longer an intrusion. Right now I can hear it very plainly through the so called "party wall". (Steel upright studs 24" on center with horizontal channel mounted on these. Sheetrock then is mounted on the channel. Basic yellow batting insulation in the wall.)I want to do the best job I can from the beginning, and lose the least amount of space in my room in the process.
I need to know what to do first: Homasote? Super soundproofing mat? Super soundproofing flooring? Which one should I start with? Once I get sufficient sound deadening, I will dry-wall it again and hopefully be done! Would wonderboard or Durock be a good option? It would be very dense, but I put my ear up to one side of a piece of Durock and knocked on the other side and it sounded so loud it was like a bell! Plus, I'm not sure of the use on Durock on a wall of my type, ie is the wall strong enough to fully support the Durock?
If you could go with a start to finish plan for quieting a wall it would be most helpful!
Thank you!

: Hello!
: I have a few soundproofing questions.  I recently built a false wall in the breakfast room of my townhouse and while it did help tremendously, I can hear the noise more, now, in the next room that shares that common "firewall".
: I was also laying in bed last night and could hear the neighbors on the other side moving clothes in the closet off their master bath and heard them dropping shoes on the floor.
: I'm trying to decide what's a more wise decision here...build walls or move.
: Obviously neither is going to be a cheap option but I cannot be going aroung my townhouse and taking away 10" to 1 foot of wall space on each side to get adequate dead air space and  installing sound insulating materials correctly.
: I think if we could get rid of the noise in the dining room and bedroom, we could last there a little bit longer, its just determining the cost of peace of mind.
: The neighbor on that side is just out of college and likes to have people over for keg parties and to show off his stereo equipment that probably cost more than my first car.  They even have speaker wire hanging out the rear windows (yeah its classy, I know) so they can power their speakers on the lower level and in their mid level sun room.  
: I have learned from the builder that the firewall is basically 4" thick and has a metal plate that runs through the middle---which must be acting like a giant conductor.  In my dining room and in my master bedroom, directly above, there is a stud wall that if it is separated from the firewall, is separated by a hair.
: What would you do if this was your home and you wanted to get rid of the bass volume?  I would assume that once you block that type of noise, the other noises--like hearing them in their closet--would go away as well.
: I'd appreciate a cost estimate for the products you recommend.
: The wall in the master bedroom/sitting room is 22 x 8 and the wall in the dining room is 12 x 9.
: Thank you in advance.