Author Topic: super soundproofing carpet cushion  (Read 3541 times)

Angela Bowman

super soundproofing carpet cushion
« on: February 12, 2002, 08:59:32 PM »
All right, I've decided to go ahead and install wall-to-wall carpeting in the living room and hallway of my condo in order to block out the television and stereo of my downstairs neighbors. The question is what exactly to put underneath? I see that you recommend the mass-loaded vinyl with cushion, then regular carpet cushion, then the carpet itself. I mentioned this plan to a carpet salesman who thought that this would be way too much padding underneath the carpet. He said that if the cushioning is too thick then (a) furniture legs will sink too deep into the carpet, nearly poking holes in it, but that it will also be difficult to walk on, it will be so squishy.
As I see it, I have a few options:
1) use just the mass-loaded vinyl with foam backing, then carpet on top of that
2) use the carpet cushion, then the mass-loaded vinyl WITHOUT the foam backing, then carpet on top of that
3) just use carpet cushion.
What do you think of all this? And what would you say is the difference between the STC of the mass-loaded vinyl and that of a heavy-duty carpet cushion? Because the difference in price is very very big. As I see it, the mass-loaded vinyl is going to cost more than half as much as the carpeting itself. I want to make sure it's really worth it.
Thanks again for all the info.

bjnash

Re: super soundproofing carpet cushion
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2002, 05:39:05 AM »
: All right, I've decided to go ahead and install wall-to-wall carpeting in the living room and hallway of my condo in order to block out the television and stereo of my downstairs neighbors. The question is what exactly to put underneath? I see that you recommend the mass-loaded vinyl with cushion, then regular carpet cushion, then the carpet itself. I mentioned this plan to a carpet salesman who thought that this would be way too much padding underneath the carpet. He said that if the cushioning is too thick then (a) furniture legs will sink too deep into the carpet, nearly poking holes in it, but that it will also be difficult to walk on, it will be so squishy.
: As I see it, I have a few options:
: 1) use just the mass-loaded vinyl with foam backing, then carpet on top of that
: 2) use the carpet cushion, then the mass-loaded vinyl WITHOUT the foam backing, then carpet on top of that
: 3) just use carpet cushion.
: What do you think of all this? And what would you say is the difference between the STC of the mass-loaded vinyl and that of a heavy-duty carpet cushion? Because the difference in price is very very big. As I see it, the mass-loaded vinyl is going to cost more than half as much as the carpeting itself. I want to make sure it's really worth it.
: Thanks again for all the info.
Welp, these are very valid issues that you raise.  But let me take them one by one- first the carpet salesman contentions about the padding: He (of course) can't speak for the cushioning effect of the "floormat" having never seen it.  The 1/4" foam would just push down without creating a hole.
More important is getting the stuff in the right order from the subfloor up: first the floormaT, then the carpet padding then the carpet.
If there is any question that the addition of 25 or so STC points will not be enough- add more with another layer of the barrier without the foam right on top of the floormat at right angles.
Someone losing sleep in his bedroom recently called and objected to the cost:  claimed it was "way too high".
Let me address the question of cost this way:  the initial cost may seem high- but it should be amortized over the time you will enjoy it's benefits and the additional value you put into your home or condo.  What is a few hundred bucks(or thousands)  over a ten year (or more) period?  Plus: How much will this mean to the next buyer/renter in added value?  What is the real cost of lost sleep or the true value of many good nights sleep?

Angela Bowman

1/4" foam backing
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2002, 03:57:54 PM »
OK, this is helpful. Let me just add up the inches here:
1/4" foam backing + 1/8" matting = 3/8" + 1/2" carpet cushion (that's standard, right?)=total of 7/8" of stuff under carpeting. That does seem awfully thick; could get pretty squishy.
How much soundproofing benefit would I lose if I put the matting WITHOUT the 1/4" foam backing, then just put the carpet cushion on top of that?

Angela Bowman

Re: 1/4" foam backing
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2002, 03:59:41 PM »
: OK, this is helpful. Let me just add up the inches here:
: 1/4" foam backing + 1/8" matting = 3/8" + 1/2" carpet cushion (that's standard, right?)=total of 7/8" of stuff under carpeting. That does seem awfully thick; could get pretty squishy.
: How much soundproofing benefit would I lose if I put the matting WITHOUT the 1/4" foam backing, then just put the carpet cushion on top of that?

anything