Author Topic: Door "too" welcoming  (Read 2863 times)

Hollow Man

Door "too" welcoming
« on: February 18, 2002, 02:50:13 PM »
My apt. has a hollow metal door that transmits sounds from the hallway (people talking, doors closing/opening, etc.).  It's a building wide problem, but bothers me in particular since I don't have much of a foyer to distance the noise.  
I read the "Door" section of the site, which was very helpful, and I've followed some steps to help muffle the sounds.
The noise is still coming THROUGH the door and here's what i'd like to do:
--Since the door is hollow, i'd like to drill holes in the top and "fill" the inside with some kind of material, like a spray foam.  I'm not sure what would be most effective.
Has anyone tried this?  What material/method would you recommend.  I'm obviously looking for a way to duplicte a solid door without replacing my current door.  Thanks!

bjnash

Re: Door "too" welcoming
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2002, 02:02:27 AM »
: My apt. has a hollow metal door that transmits sounds from the hallway (people talking, doors closing/opening, etc.).  It's a building wide problem, but bothers me in particular since I don't have much of a foyer to distance the noise.  
: I read the "Door" section of the site, which was very helpful, and I've followed some steps to help muffle the sounds.
: The noise is still coming THROUGH the door and here's what i'd like to do:
: --Since the door is hollow, i'd like to drill holes in the top and "fill" the inside with some kind of material, like a spray foam.  I'm not sure what would be most effective.
: Has anyone tried this?  What material/method would you recommend.  I'm obviously looking for a way to duplicte a solid door without replacing my current door.  Thanks!
 Not likely to be any help- the foam you mention may well make it worse!  It is for thermal insulation and has no acoustical properties.  Best to add lots of our soundproofing mat to the door- 2" should help a lot!  

anything