Author Topic: noise and my 3 floor apartment  (Read 3458 times)

Jessica Meier

noise and my 3 floor apartment
« on: January 05, 2001, 05:30:31 PM »
I live on the third floor of a very old victorian hose that has been devided into apartments. We are all connected by an internal stairwell and there is absolutly no insulation between the floors. I am not really in a position to pull up the floors or to do anything to the ceiling of the people below (who happen to be the building managers) They complain endlessly about how they can hear us talk even when speaking a a normal tone and they also complain about how they can hear us "Clomp" every time we walk across the floor. It is so bad that we can't have people over because they complain about the extra noise that one additional person makes.(I can't play my radio at all.) We can also hear their conversations. I know that the internal stairwell is part of the problem. I have no idea what to do to reduce the noise passing between the apartments. To complicate things the building managers are not exactly the "go-getter" types and probably wont pay for any materials. I need to come up with an inexpensive, highly effective solution that doesn't look too bad and won't require cutting into the walls or floors. Any advice would be gretly appreciated.

bjnash

Re: noise and my 3 floor apartment
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2001, 06:00:28 AM »
: I live on the third floor of a very old victorian hose that has been devided into apartments. We are all connected by an internal stairwell and there is absolutly no insulation between the floors. I am not really in a position to pull up the floors or to do anything to the ceiling of the people below (who happen to be the building managers) They complain endlessly about how they can hear us talk even when speaking a a normal tone and they also complain about how they can hear us "Clomp" every time we walk across the floor. It is so bad that we can't have people over because they complain about the extra noise that one additional person makes.(I can't play my radio at all.) We can also hear their conversations. I know that the internal stairwell is part of the problem. I have no idea what to do to reduce the noise passing between the apartments. To complicate things the building managers are not exactly the "go-getter" types and probably wont pay for any materials. I need to come up with an inexpensive, highly effective solution that doesn't look too bad and won't require cutting into the walls or floors. Any advice would be gretly appreciated.
Have a look at this sound barrier mat and think about how you could use it..

anything