Author Topic: Plumbing Noise  (Read 2096 times)

Kevin

Plumbing Noise
« on: March 09, 2002, 04:36:12 PM »
I live in a 2 story home with an unfinished basement.  There are 2 full baths located on the top/2nd floor.  Whenver the sinks or showers are running on the top floor, one can hear a "ticking" sound (almost dripping) in the wall carrying the water from the top level to the basement on the main level.  There are no leaks, but if I push in on the wall where the pipes are enclosed, it lessens the noice. Any suggetions, the home is ony 2 years old.  

Tim

Re: Plumbing Noise
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2002, 02:49:37 AM »
: I live in a 2 story home with an unfinished basement.  There are 2 full baths located on the top/2nd floor.  Whenver the sinks or showers are running on the top floor, one can hear a "ticking" sound (almost dripping) in the wall carrying the water from the top level to the basement on the main level.  There are no leaks, but if I push in on the wall where the pipes are enclosed, it lessens the noice. Any suggetions, the home is ony 2 years old.  
Kevin,
I have a similar problem. I had a plumber tell me that it was called "expansion creak" and was caused by the pipes being too close to the drywall. When the water comes through the pvc pipes the air and water expand slightly and put pressure on the drywall which "ticks" or "creaks". He didn't have a solution for it though. I was thinking of pulling down some of the wallboard, adding a furring strip to the studs as a spacer and then reinstalling the wallboard. I don't know if it will work but I may try it this summer.