Author Topic: Sound proofing my ceiling from upstairs neighbor  (Read 3323 times)

Jenny

Sound proofing my ceiling from upstairs neighbor
« on: March 12, 2002, 12:32:05 AM »
I've read through the FAQs and see that many people have the same problem I have.  I live under stomping, running, heavy walking and jumping off furniture people.  They have flat out refused to install carpeting and have even started to make even more noise by dragging furniture across their wood floor as a form of protest to my request.  
I now know that it's up to me to save my own sanity.  My ceiling is cement and is only 8' high.  What can I use to sound proof my ceiling?  Someone recommended spraying icynene foam, then installing resilent channels between 2 layers of drywall.  Which product of yours do you recommend I use instead of the above method?  
I also want to know, as much as I can hear them, can they hear noises from my apartment such as stereo and talking etc?  
Please help!  Thanks.

Dan

Re: Sound proofing my ceiling from upstairs neighbor
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2002, 08:31:46 PM »

Dealing with impact noise from above is difficult. I installed a dropped ceiling above my apartment using the super sound clips and it cut noise by about 30-40%, which was a big disapointment considering the effort and expense. I believe the reason why it made so little difference was because vibrations were being transmitted through the wall beams. Unless you can convince the people above you to have their floor reconstructed, the best solution is probably to find a new apartment. I know this is tough to hear (and certainly the people at Soundproofing.org won't like this), but unless you want to spend thousands of $$$ on an approach that has no guarentees...
: I've read through the FAQs and see that many people have the same problem I have.  I live under stomping, running, heavy walking and jumping off furniture people.  They have flat out refused to install carpeting and have even started to make even more noise by dragging furniture across their wood floor as a form of protest to my request.  
: I now know that it's up to me to save my own sanity.  My ceiling is cement and is only 8' high.  What can I use to sound proof my ceiling?  Someone recommended spraying icynene foam, then installing resilent channels between 2 layers of drywall.  Which product of yours do you recommend I use instead of the above method?  
: I also want to know, as much as I can hear them, can they hear noises from my apartment such as stereo and talking etc?  
: Please help!  Thanks.

anything