Author Topic: Soundproofing a Ceiling in a Co-op  (Read 5121 times)

Deborah

Soundproofing a Ceiling in a Co-op
« on: March 13, 2002, 01:18:53 AM »
Hi,
I just moved into a co-op and I would like to look into soundproofing options for my ceiling, I am hearing my upstairs neighbors stomp around way too much! Additionally, I can here their television and I don't get the impression they have the sound that jacked up, I think it is just the way these apartments were built. Since I own my apartment, I figured it may be worth the investment to soundproof, depending on the cost of course. I live in the NYC area (Kew Gardens, Queens).
Thanks for any info anyone can share.
-Deborah

Angela Bowman

Re: Soundproofing a Ceiling in a Co-op
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2002, 10:05:29 PM »
Deborah, look on this site for directions on soundproofing walls and ceilings. (http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm). You can install a special drop ceiling.

: Hi,
: I just moved into a co-op and I would like to look into soundproofing options for my ceiling, I am hearing my upstairs neighbors stomp around way too much! Additionally, I can here their television and I don't get the impression they have the sound that jacked up, I think it is just the way these apartments were built. Since I own my apartment, I figured it may be worth the investment to soundproof, depending on the cost of course. I live in the NYC area (Kew Gardens, Queens).
: Thanks for any info anyone can share.
: -Deborah

Dan

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2002, 04:47:46 PM »
Hi,
I live in NYC too and have been going through similiar problems. You should be aware that the sound problem from you describe is primarly impact noise and would be extremely difficult and costly to fix from within your apartment. Impact noises are a result of structural vibration in the building that are possibly coming from both your ceiling AND your walls. I learned this lesson the hard way when I installed a dropped ceiling in my apartment using the super sound clips and it made little difference (maybe 30-40% reduction).
Your best option is to install carpeting with a thick underlay in the apartment above. This won't cost much and will make a big difference. You could also ask your upstairs neighbors to try to walk without their shoes. Sound issues of this sort are best eliminated at the source, so carpeting is really your best bet. If they really object to carpeting, it would be much more effective and cheaper to pay to have their floor redone than anything in your apartment. (try this approach http://www.owenscorning.com/around/sound/products/floormat.asp )
I hope this helps,
Dan
: Hi,
: I just moved into a co-op and I would like to look into soundproofing options for my ceiling, I am hearing my upstairs neighbors stomp around way too much! Additionally, I can here their television and I don't get the impression they have the sound that jacked up, I think it is just the way these apartments were built. Since I own my apartment, I figured it may be worth the investment to soundproof, depending on the cost of course. I live in the NYC area (Kew Gardens, Queens).
: Thanks for any info anyone can share.
: -Deborah

boborther

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2002, 06:14:09 PM »
Deborah,
I agree with Angela's suggestion that you go to the www.soundproofing.org homepage, then go to the yellow box, and read about "Party walls" Ceilings, and floors. There are many options, some costly, and some not so expensive.
BobO.

anything