Author Topic: problems with the bass....  (Read 3249 times)

chris widman

problems with the bass....
« on: March 14, 2002, 01:05:11 AM »
I'm a DJ.
I live in a studio apartment with hardwood floors. My next door neighbor has started complaining about the bass. I use Cerwin Vega 3-way bookshelf speakers with 8" woofers (they go down to about 60hz) as my monitors. One is on a stand on top of my equipment table, the other on a wheeled CD tower. Both are about 4'6" off the ground, pointed in towards my head.
I need the bass for monitoring my radio show recordings, how can I minimize the transmition to the nieghbors apartment.
The wall perpendicular from the table runs the length of the room and is plaster (this is shared with the complaining neighbor).
Would hanging the speakers from the ceiling help?
Thanks Chris Widman

boborther

Re: problems with the bass....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2002, 05:50:10 PM »

Chris,
The wood floors are a big part of your soundproofing problem. Wood itself is an amplifier, as witnessed by musical instruments such as guitars and pianos etc. which are all made of wood and steel. You might consider carpeting the floor, but if you are like a lot of people, you like the look and the feel of the wood. In that case, you need to concentrate on soundproofing the wall that you share with the offended neighbor. There are a few methods you could use. One is to float the wall using resilient channel, or even using the SSP soundclips. This in essence isolates your wall from the studs and insulation in the wall which are carriers of sound. The other method would be to attach a barrier material directly to your wall. Something that would literally block the sound from intruding on your neighbor. There is a mass loaded vinyl materal that is called silencer flooring, which works remarkably in this application. You would simply staple this material to the existing drywall, and then I suggest that you add another layer of sheet rock over the vinyl, and then tape mud and paint the drywall. Don't forget to caulk the crack crevas' and seams with Acoustical caulking. This includes wall outlets, light switches, and cable/computer connection outlets. If air can pass through sound can also. Well Chris, I sure hope this information helps you in your sopundproofing endeavors.
Bob O.
www.soundproofing.org