Author Topic: 1924 Edwardian condo with noisy upstairs neighbors  (Read 2360 times)

Tom Summers

1924 Edwardian condo with noisy upstairs neighbors
« on: March 21, 2002, 07:00:56 PM »
I've read several posts here about noisy upstairs neighbors. They've been really good by installing carpeting in their bedroom and teh hallway leading to it.  It's helped a  lot.  Unfortunately, their kitchen is right by their bedroom and it's not carpeted and they constantly wear their shoes when walking around. They never understand that I can hear them walking around in shoes no matter where they are in their flat.  Believe me, I've told them many, many tims.
My question is, will a drop ceiling in my bedroom help?  I see postings that say it will and postings that say it won't.  Is it worth the expense?

Dan

Re: 1924 Edwardian condo with noisy upstairs neighbors
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2002, 08:19:02 PM »
The only accurate answer is "it depends"
Are your wall beams connected directly to the floor/ceiling beams? If it's all just one rigid structure then chances are installing a dropped ceiling wouldn't make that much of a difference considering the expense. Dealing with impact noise from above is difficult. I installed a dropped ceiling above my apartment using the super sound clips and it cut noise by about 30-40%, which was a big disapointment considering the effort and expense. The only sure solution would be to reconstruct your ceiling AND walls from scratch, decoupling your entire rooms structure from the rest of the building using resilient connections. It would be far less effort to redo the kitchen floor above you, adding additional layers of plywood and using rubber on top of the subfloor.
Hope this helps.

: I've read several posts here about noisy upstairs neighbors. They've been really good by installing carpeting in their bedroom and teh hallway leading to it.  It's helped a  lot.  Unfortunately, their kitchen is right by their bedroom and it's not carpeted and they constantly wear their shoes when walking around. They never understand that I can hear them walking around in shoes no matter where they are in their flat.  Believe me, I've told them many, many tims.
: My question is, will a drop ceiling in my bedroom help?  I see postings that say it will and postings that say it won't.  Is it worth the expense?

boborther

Re: 1924 Edwardian condo with noisy upstairs neighbors
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2002, 03:46:54 AM »
Tom,
What you are dealing with is impact noise, even when they are in stocking feet, impact noise is one of the most difficult things to combat. Read my letter to Jeff above. The one on Condo ceilings. It should be of great help to you.
Sincerely,
Bob O.
www.soundproofing.org