Author Topic: Neighbor's Garage band  (Read 2965 times)

Karen

Neighbor's Garage band
« on: April 01, 2002, 11:52:01 PM »
Our neighbor has started a band in his garage. It is VERY LOUD and we cannot hang out in our own backyard on a nice day without being subjected to his drums and bass.
We are willing to pay to have some soundproofing done for him so we don't have to move.
Anyone have suggestions on how to soundproof without building a room within a room, since we cannot afford to that much!!
From my reading, acoustic curtain over his garage door and panels around his loudest instruments (bass sounds travel farther I gather) might be my only hope for soundproofing that does not actually physically change his garage,because he does use it for cars otherwise.
Also, I read about a corner dead-air construction that would absorb some of the bass.;
Any suggestions are appreciated!!

boborther

Re: Neighbor's Garage band
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2002, 03:38:53 AM »
Karen,
You should confront you neighbor in a friendly manner, and let him know your concerns. I personally don't think it is fair, that because of their musical asperations that you should be made to suffer.
One of the main problems with garages is that they are seldom finished, (e.g. open roof joists and studs in unfinished walls.These areas usually have leaks to the outdoors, and where air can pass, so can sound. One of the primary concerns for soundproofing is, as you have stated, the Garage door itself. This could be silenced to a degree with closed cell foam material. This material would be be contact cemented to the inside of the garage door, and would not only block sound, but would actually absorb much of it.  I deal with band members on a daily basis at The Super Soundproofing Co. and the majority of these musicians are very concerned about the feelings of their neighbors.
If you get the opportunity, and would like to discuss solutions to this delema, please give me a call @ (760) 749-7049. Thanks Karen, and good luck in your soundproofing endeavors.
Bob O.
www.soundproofing.org

Helen

Re: Neighbor's Garage band
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 05:20:04 PM »
: Karen,
:  You should confront you neighbor in a friendly manner, and let him know your concerns. I personally don't think it is fair, that because of their musical asperations that you should be made to suffer.
:  One of the main problems with garages is that they are seldom finished, (e.g. open roof joists and studs in unfinished walls.These areas usually have leaks to the outdoors, and where air can pass, so can sound. One of the primary concerns for soundproofing is, as you have stated, the Garage door itself. This could be silenced to a degree with closed cell foam material. This material would be be contact cemented to the inside of the garage door, and would not only block sound, but would actually absorb much of it.  I deal with band members on a daily basis at The Super Soundproofing Co. and the majority of these musicians are very concerned about the feelings of their neighbors.
:  If you get the opportunity, and would like to discuss solutions to this delema, please give me a call @ (760) 749-7049. Thanks Karen, and good luck in your soundproofing endeavors.
: Bob O.
: www.soundproofing.org

anything