Author Topic: Noise from condo common wall.  (Read 3142 times)

SV

Noise from condo common wall.
« on: April 02, 2002, 12:46:54 AM »
I share a wall with my neighbors and their conversations, TV and other noises keep me up at night.  I would like to soundproff my common wall without having to remove my drywall or installing another false wall.  It's O.K. to affix material (soundproofing) to the existing wall but I was thinking of finishing the wall/soundproofing with a "designer" cork that is 1/4" (I hate anything to do with drywall).  Is this possible? and if so.... What would you recommend for the thickness of the super sound proofing?

boborther

Re: Noise from condo common wall.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2002, 03:44:24 AM »
SV,
Go to this URL, it should help you decide the best solution to your soundproofing delema http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm
Hope this helps.
Bob O.
www.soundproofing.org

Dan

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2002, 06:13:01 PM »
Just blow in lots of insulation
: I share a wall with my neighbors and their conversations, TV and other noises keep me up at night.  I would like to soundproff my common wall without having to remove my drywall or installing another false wall.  It's O.K. to affix material (soundproofing) to the existing wall but I was thinking of finishing the wall/soundproofing with a "designer" cork that is 1/4" (I hate anything to do with drywall).  Is this possible? and if so.... What would you recommend for the thickness of the super sound proofing?

bjnash

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2002, 02:36:59 AM »
: I share a wall with my neighbors and their conversations, TV and other noises keep me up at night.  I would like to soundproff my common wall without having to remove my drywall or installing another false wall.  It's O.K. to affix material (soundproofing) to the existing wall but I was thinking of finishing the wall/soundproofing with a "designer" cork that is 1/4" (I hate anything to do with drywall).  Is this possible? and if so.... What would you recommend for the thickness of the super sound proofing?
Cork has little soundproofing quality for a wall.  The Super Soundproofing Foam should not be sandwiched as it will deform.  The best procedure would be to put up one or two layers of Mass Loaded Vinyl right over the existing wall and cover with a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall.  This is as a minimum.  Better- read on about how to do walls and ceilings properly, depending on what level for sound you wish to reduce.

anything