Author Topic: Apartment Soundproofing  (Read 4411 times)

Justin

Apartment Soundproofing
« on: January 09, 2001, 04:27:05 PM »
I've received complaints about bass getting through the floor and the one (about 7 ft across, 9ft tall) wall I share with my next door neighbor. This is an apartment, so ripping open the wall or floor isn't an option. I have a down-firing subwoofer that's probably causing all of the downstairs noise. I need a fairly cheap and easy way to soundproof the floor under the sub and the wall between the apartments. The sound is barely even turned up loud and the sub is on 1/4 power right now, it's driving me nuts but I don't want to keep bugging the neighbors. Can I put a layer of something over the wall that won't look terrible? Is there a small mat I can put directly underneath the sub that won't ruin the sound quality in the room? Help!

bjnash

Re: Apartment Soundproofing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2001, 01:12:26 AM »
: I've received complaints about bass getting through the floor and the one (about 7 ft across, 9ft tall) wall I share with my next door neighbor. This is an apartment, so ripping open the wall or floor isn't an option. I have a down-firing subwoofer that's probably causing all of the downstairs noise. I need a fairly cheap and easy way to soundproof the floor under the sub and the wall between the apartments. The sound is barely even turned up loud and the sub is on 1/4 power right now, it's driving me nuts but I don't want to keep bugging the neighbors. Can I put a layer of something over the wall that won't look terrible? Is there a small mat I can put directly underneath the sub that won't ruin the sound quality in the room? Help!
Use the "Floor Mat" as detailed in the link below.  Caution- you'll need a lot of it and it may help to raise your sub-woofer up off the floor.

Justin

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2001, 09:14:14 PM »
Will it deaden the sound from my sub?

bjnash

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2001, 05:51:36 AM »
: Will it deaden the sound from my sub?
A: To some extent.

Melanie

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2002, 07:51:54 PM »
: : Will it deaden the sound from my sub?
: A: To some extent.
I'm having the same problem, only I'm a neighbor who can hear the bass.  I've complained to the complex, and I know they've asked them to move the speakers, lift them up from the floor, and put something between the speakers and the wall to absorb the noise.  I don't want to keep complaining, but I don't want to keep hearing the bass every day and night.  What can I do from the other side of the wall that will reduce or eliminate the noise?  I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I do want something I can take with me.