Author Topic: Soundproof windows.  (Read 9348 times)

Mike

Soundproof windows.
« on: April 07, 2002, 03:39:46 AM »
I am trying to locate a source of real soundproof windows. So far I've located two - Sound Gard Windows and Sound Proof Windows.
The latter's windows (aluminum frame, laminated glass etc) costs about 2.5 times less then the former's.
I wonder, if you have an opinion about their products.
I'd appreciate your thoughts.
PS. I am trying to soundproof my condo, which faces a rather noisy road (local highway), plus a big parking lot of a dancing club, from which young people exit in the middle of the night, inebriated and thus loud.
I am set on the windows though since I do not want to block the light.

Aaron Fischer

Re: Soundproof windows.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 02:20:50 PM »
I've installed two Milgard triple laminated double hung windows 3' x 5' in a master bedroom.  $800 each installed.  The STC rating is 44.  The difference from the original double pane aluminum is incredible.  The little noise we now hear is through the relatively thin walls.   I plan to install a few more Milgards myself, Home Depot can special order them now!

Boborther

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 09:01:37 PM »
Mike and Aaron,

I have to agree with Aaron on the Mil Gard windows, however, I have heard the soundproofwindows.com has a very good product, and also Sound Guard windows are good.
Mike, I have also been told, by a reliable source, that Pella has a great new soundproof window and it doesn't cost an arm 'n' a leg.
Lastly, you might consider the Magnet Seal window insert. This is a great insert, and is it very cost effective. The STC on the 1/8" plexi window insert is a conservative 30 STC's.
Mike,  if you are replacing your windows completely get a window that is 40 STC or better, and remember, that a jump from 40 STC to say 42 STC most likely doubles the soundproofing of one window over the other, so the STC numbers on windows can be mis leading at times. Be wise in your decision. If you have questions, do not hesitate to call. Thanks Aaron for your input and sound advice (no pun intended)

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
For Peace of mind!

grantness2

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2003, 07:41:11 PM »
FWIW soundGUARDwindows.com told me they only sell locally to the las vegas area.

brett

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 06:08:33 PM »

if anyone knows of a good window manufacturer here in the midwest where I can find a 40+ STC rated window please let me know.  The best I can come up with is an Andersen Renewal window with tempered laminated glass with an STC of 38.

Boborther

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 06:27:53 PM »
Brett,

The Anderson window might be all you need, depending on the type and amount of noise that needs to be quelled. What was the price of the Anderson, and can they guarantee the 38 STC's? Let us know what you decide. I usually recommend a 40 or higher STC (cause they are a safe bet) on windows, but if Anderson  can provide test results and can give you references of folks that have had their windows installed, then I think the Andersons might be a good option. Thanks for the follow up Brett!

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 752-3030    FAX: (760) 752-3040
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
Orders only (888) 942-7723
When Peace of Mind is all that Matters!

asientos

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »
This is a late reply to this message topic, since the last reply was on 2003.

I installed Cityquiet in my condo bedroom and Soundproof windows in the living room.  The initial cost of the Soundproof windows seemed lower, but as the shipping of the windows got screwed up, the installation cost was separate and there were additional charges related to the installation, the cost ended up much higher than Cityquiet.  Also, there are too many people involved in the process (order to instalation) with Soundproof windows as opposed to Cityquiet.  Cityquiet provided the contact info for one of their certified installers who came from the start (as part of the window cost) to do take measurements, and make the installation.  I didn't have to speak to 3 different people making sure all three received the same information, just one person.

The noise reduction I received from Soundproof windows is good, but the actual purchase, delivery and installation was too cumbersome.  For an easier time with the process and warranty in the work they do, I would go with Citiquiet.  However, it seems you did a good choice going with Milgard.