Author Topic: Impossible? Lower the direct sound from loud guitar amp  (Read 2976 times)

joegrant413

Impossible? Lower the direct sound from loud guitar amp
« on: April 11, 2002, 01:23:05 AM »
I play electric guitar. To get the kind of sound quality I want from my amplifier, I would have to play it very, very loud. Not only too loud for my family upstairs, but too loud for me as well. This is a common problem for guitarists: the best sound quality from an amp is at decibel level that is way too loud. (So, the answer of "just turn it down" is not what I'm looking for right now. Anyone curious about why great sound comes from amps cranked up can check out amptone.com. )
To lower the resulting decibel level, some guitarists put towels over the speaker. Others actually turn the speaker around, pointing to the wall. Obviously both of these crude methods take away from the desired sound quality.
I've looked on the web for a way to lower the db level of direct sound without significantly degrading the quality of the sound itself. I've seen nothing; and I'm not sure such as thing exists.
Thanks for any help,
-- Joe

Dan

Re: Impossible? Lower the direct sound from loud guitar amp
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 02:05:08 PM »
Try the Marshall Power Break:
http://www.marshallamps.com/images/products/powerbrake/powerbrake.html
: I play electric guitar. To get the kind of sound quality I want from my amplifier, I would have to play it very, very loud. Not only too loud for my family upstairs, but too loud for me as well. This is a common problem for guitarists: the best sound quality from an amp is at decibel level that is way too loud. (So, the answer of "just turn it down" is not what I'm looking for right now. Anyone curious about why great sound comes from amps cranked up can check out amptone.com. )
: To lower the resulting decibel level, some guitarists put towels over the speaker. Others actually turn the speaker around, pointing to the wall. Obviously both of these crude methods take away from the desired sound quality.
: I've looked on the web for a way to lower the db level of direct sound without significantly degrading the quality of the sound itself. I've seen nothing; and I'm not sure such as thing exists.
: Thanks for any help,
: -- Joe

Tim Rafferty

Re: Impossible? Lower the direct sound from loud guitar amp
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 04:55:03 PM »
I have the answer for you...
http://www.mavenpeal.com
DAve Zimmermans Amps have the tone your looking for, power amp distortion, at any volume level you desire.

anything