Author Topic: Contrary to Popular Belief: The pink stuff  (Read 3294 times)

Jon Gray

Contrary to Popular Belief: The pink stuff
« on: April 15, 2002, 12:50:53 PM »
I have had very successful results using duct board and fiberglass insulation to build basstraps and wall treatments for recording/live spaces.  Many recording studios today use Rockwool in their treatments.  Rockwool is a natural filler that is very effective in isolation and treating small/large spaces.  Unfortunatly it is very hard to find and has to be ordered most of the time.  Duct board is a great way to treat reflective surfaces so long as it is backed with either absorbtive or relective surfaces.  This can be accomplished by a number of drywall/fiberglass/birch-ply backings.  
I don't believe the assumption fiberglass is a bad acoustic insulator.  I have seen too many effective uses for it.  Granted I dont have the budget to purchase 15k in panels/traps for a new room, but I figure with the right perspective/consulting on a treatment.  Any room (of medium size) can sound better with some treatment, not necessarily the most expensive.

Jon@Prometheus-design.com

bjnash

Re: Contrary to Popular Belief: The pink stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2002, 05:11:56 PM »
: I have had very successful results using duct board and fiberglass insulation to build basstraps and wall treatments for recording/live spaces.  Many recording studios today use Rockwool in their treatments.  Rockwool is a natural filler that is very effective in isolation and treating small/large spaces.  Unfortunatly it is very hard to find and has to be ordered most of the time.  Duct board is a great way to treat reflective surfaces so long as it is backed with either absorbtive or relective surfaces.  This can be accomplished by a number of drywall/fiberglass/birch-ply backings.  
: I don't believe the assumption fiberglass is a bad acoustic insulator.  I have seen too many effective uses for it.  Granted I dont have the budget to purchase 15k in panels/traps for a new room, but I figure with the right perspective/consulting on a treatment.  Any room (of medium size) can sound better with some treatment, not necessarily the most expensive.
:
: Jon@Prometheus-design.com
Regarding fiberglass- It can be used effectively if inordinate care is used. But in the practical world, I've never seen it match the expectations of claims made by Dow-Corning.  Maybe they can do it in the lab, but most people can't tell the difference.