Author Topic: Sound proofing a wall  (Read 3666 times)

David Westhaver

Sound proofing a wall
« on: April 15, 2002, 04:18:57 PM »
I cannot use a double wall.  We are building a home and the builder will allow me, one evening (after inspection before dry walling) to go into my 2nd floor room that I will use as my studio.   I need to put something between the studs to sound proof or at least drastically reduce the sound.       I want to know what will work the best.   Also is there anything that I can put on the studs that will reduce sound transfer but will not impede the dry wallers work the next day.

bassmanmach1

Re: Sound proofing a wall
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2002, 04:44:47 AM »
: I cannot use a double wall.  We are building a home and the builder will allow me, one evening (after inspection before dry walling) to go into my 2nd floor room that I will use as my studio.   I need to put something between the studs to sound proof or at least drastically reduce the sound.       I want to know what will work the best.   Also is there anything that I can put on the studs that will reduce sound transfer but will not impede the dry wallers work the next day.

Dan

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2002, 03:32:20 PM »
Unfortunately, there's probably nothing you could put between the walls that would make a drastic difference. The design of the rooms structure is much more important (staggered studs, decoupled structures, low rigidity is what matters most) Packing the walls with soundproofing material will muffle the sound somewhat, but it won't make a drastic difference.
: I cannot use a double wall.  We are building a home and the builder will allow me, one evening (after inspection before dry walling) to go into my 2nd floor room that I will use as my studio.   I need to put something between the studs to sound proof or at least drastically reduce the sound.       I want to know what will work the best.   Also is there anything that I can put on the studs that will reduce sound transfer but will not impede the dry wallers work the next day.

bjnash

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2002, 03:12:09 AM »
Yes there are some options: Go to
http://soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm
and see the link below.

evan welsman

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2002, 01:45:22 AM »
i am trying to cut down the sound in my classroom using recycled material what do you suggest i could use

anything