Author Topic: Soundproof Industrial Steel Frame building for Video Studio... Where to begin?  (Read 3875 times)

Larry Sang

Hello,
A client and close friend of mine has begun clearing storage space in his industrial steel building (the kind with metal siding and sprayed insulation) with a bare concrete foundation.  He is planning to make room for a new Studio.  He shoots broadcast quality video with sensitive sound recording equipment, and being in an industrial area... he will be battling the rumbles of passing diesel engines and the like.  He has previously shot inside the office area which is carpeted and has been partitioned off with basic walls and drop ceiling.  He plans to enclose the storage area with walls and a drop ceiling as well.  He asked for my help since I have built a few stereo systems for auto-sound competition (yeah, since they are so closely related)... after standing in the room for a few minutes listening intently, I told him to find a different space. (Not much help.)
I do think he can solve some of the intrusion by not connecting his walls to the steel framing and incorporating resilient channels.  I think it would also be necessary to cushion the walls from the concrete floor when he secures them.  What could be used under the walls between their bottom and the concrete floor?  Would rubber gromets be enough for the bolts securing the walls to the concrete?  I am totally stumped on what he could do with the bare interior floors once the walls are up... won't all of the low frequency transmissions from the large trucks transmit directly into the room from the concrete foundation?  And finally, what can he do to help with the drop ceiling?
My other suggestion was for him to hire a consultant... he remarked that he was on a budget, smiled... and said "That's what I have you for, right?"
So here I am, doing what friends do... spending time trying to find answers that I can't give on my own.
Thank You in advance for any guidance or advice you might have for us.

bjnash

: Hello,
: A client and close friend of mine has begun clearing storage space in his industrial steel building (the kind with metal siding and sprayed insulation) with a bare concrete foundation.  He is planning to make room for a new Studio.  He shoots broadcast quality video with sensitive sound recording equipment, and being in an industrial area... he will be battling the rumbles of passing diesel engines and the like.  He has previously shot inside the office area which is carpeted and has been partitioned off with basic walls and drop ceiling.  He plans to enclose the storage area with walls and a drop ceiling as well.  He asked for my help since I have built a few stereo systems for auto-sound competition (yeah, since they are so closely related)... after standing in the room for a few minutes listening intently, I told him to find a different space. (Not much help.)
: I do think he can solve some of the intrusion by not connecting his walls to the steel framing and incorporating resilient channels.  I think it would also be necessary to cushion the walls from the concrete floor when he secures them.  What could be used under the walls between their bottom and the concrete floor?  Would rubber gromets be enough for the bolts securing the walls to the concrete?  I am totally stumped on what he could do with the bare interior floors once the walls are up... won't all of the low frequency transmissions from the large trucks transmit directly into the room from the concrete foundation?  And finally, what can he do to help with the drop ceiling?
: My other suggestion was for him to hire a consultant... he remarked that he was on a budget, smiled... and said "That's what I have you for, right?"
: So here I am, doing what friends do... spending time trying to find answers that I can't give on my own.
: Thank You in advance for any guidance or advice you might have for us.
You CAN become the Guru he expects!  Get the EPA book we sell and read it.  The answers are there and the ones that aren't, we'll help you with.  You are looking at a "room-within-a-room" project, a lot easier than it sounds.  You'll be using our vibration pads under the floor.  But let's save it for the book reading first.

anything