Author Topic: noisy upstairs appartment  (Read 2463 times)

jonny seven

noisy upstairs appartment
« on: April 29, 2002, 10:03:23 PM »
Well they're not too noisy really but have
recently (and rather inconsideratly) had a laminate wooden flood fitted to replace their
carpets so I now hear every footstep and noise
from television etc seems to have increased alot
cannot find any advice for this problem on the site can anyone here advise me please as to any
sort of soundproofing I could attach to my ceiling?

boborther

Re: noisy upstairs appartment
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2002, 02:58:24 AM »
Jonny,
There is a lot of information on the website which tells about using mass loaded vinyl flooring, or about floating a ceiling with RC or SSP Soundclips. I can help you if you give me a call @ (760) 749-7049. The best soulution would have been if your upstairs neighbors had installed soundproofing prior to laying that wooden floor. Wood amplifies nearly 1200%, and feet hitting that wood floor is what is referred to as impact noise, and is very hard to combat. I said hard, but not impossible. Let me know when you are ready to begin your soundproofing journey.
Sincerely
Bob O.
Super Soundproofing Co.
www.soundproofing.org

Dan

Re: noisy upstairs appartment
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2002, 02:45:42 PM »
Unfortunately, there's really nothing that you can do to your apartment that will make much of a difference, even if you're will to spend a lot. I spent $5000 having a dropped ceiling installed using the super sound clips + sound proofing tape + acoustical caulk and it made a 25-30% difference, certainly not worth it considering the time and expense. Be wary of people trying to sell you sound proofing solutions. In general, impact related sound problems are VERY difficult to solve. Often the problem relates with the underlying structure of the building, which obviously you cannot change.
Dan
: Well they're not too noisy really but have
: recently (and rather inconsideratly) had a laminate wooden flood fitted to replace their
: carpets so I now hear every footstep and noise
: from television etc seems to have increased alot
: cannot find any advice for this problem on the site can anyone here advise me please as to any
: sort of soundproofing I could attach to my ceiling?

anything