Author Topic: you guessed it, noisy upstairs  (Read 3499 times)

michael

you guessed it, noisy upstairs
« on: April 30, 2002, 06:21:18 AM »
Bob, I have a duplex(upper/lower) and have covered the upstairs hardwoods with (in this order)foam underlayment(approx.1/16" like pergo regular underlay),>1/4" soft ikea waferboard, 3/8 plywood and then oak parquet floors.  All my efforts were not in vain but there is still significant noise that would wake/disturb someone downstairs.  I talked to a sound engineer i ran into at homedepot who suggested drop-channel ceilings.  He also told me to go online to find out more so here i am.  How much ceiling will i lose?

Dan

Re: you guessed it, noisy upstairs
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2002, 02:39:09 PM »
Don't expect much from a dropped ceiling. I installed one using the Super Sound Clips + Sound Proofing Tape + Acoutical Tape + two heavy layers of 5/8" drywall and it made maybe a 25-30% difference. Certainly not worth the time and expense, IMHO.
Dan
: Bob, I have a duplex(upper/lower) and have covered the upstairs hardwoods with (in this order)foam underlayment(approx.1/16" like pergo regular underlay),>1/4" soft ikea waferboard, 3/8 plywood and then oak parquet floors.  All my efforts were not in vain but there is still significant noise that would wake/disturb someone downstairs.  I talked to a sound engineer i ran into at homedepot who suggested drop-channel ceilings.  He also told me to go online to find out more so here i am.  How much ceiling will i lose?

boborther

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 02:23:29 AM »
Mike,
You will find many conflicting opinions as to the effectiveness of the floated ceiling using the SSP soundclips. My personal experience via my numerous customers, is that the floated ceiling if done properly is most effective.
These customers are usually professional contractors and know good and effective building practices. Many of them have floated ceilings and walls using RC (resiliet channel)and have had excellent results, but when they began to use the SSP soundclips, which were developed in New Zealand, they all commented on the ease of installation over RC, and were thrilled with the results.
As with any project, results depend on construction techniques, and the materials used. As we all know, when it comes to soundproofing, "More is better". This technique (floated ceiling) can, and will work if installed properly, and we have the references to prove it. When you are ready, give us a call @ The Super Soundproofing Co. and we will be glad to help you.
I said it once and I'll say it again, it is NOT all about the money, it is about solving soundproofing issues, and that's the truth.
Sincerely,
Bob O.

Greg

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2002, 02:18:15 PM »
Bob O. said "As with any project, results depend on construction techniques, and the materials used"
Oh please! The whole point of the "Super" sound clips is that they're easy to install. My contracter followed your instructions EXACTLY (I oversaw the entire process) and only the best materials were used. If there are techniques that must be used that aren't mentioned anywhere in the instructions, then what are they? And why weren't they included?

Greg
: Mike,
:  You will find many conflicting opinions as to the effectiveness of the floated ceiling using the SSP soundclips. My personal experience via my numerous customers, is that the floated ceiling if done properly is most effective.
:  These customers are usually professional contractors and know good and effective building practices. Many of them have floated ceilings and walls using RC (resiliet channel)and have had excellent results, but when they began to use the SSP soundclips, which were developed in New Zealand, they all commented on the ease of installation over RC, and were thrilled with the results.
:  As with any project, results depend on construction techniques, and the materials used. As we all know, when it comes to soundproofing, "More is better". This technique (floated ceiling) can, and will work if installed properly, and we have the references to prove it. When you are ready, give us a call @ The Super Soundproofing Co. and we will be glad to help you.
:  I said it once and I'll say it again, it is NOT all about the money, it is about solving soundproofing issues, and that's the truth.
: Sincerely,
: Bob O.

anything