Author Topic: Soundproofing an upstairs apartment  (Read 4241 times)

Eddie Giraud

Soundproofing an upstairs apartment
« on: May 01, 2002, 06:37:30 AM »
Hi, I live in an upstairs apartment that was built about 20 years ago, meaning that the walls are paper thin and so is the carpeted floor. To add to the frustration of being a drummer is the fact that I have an elderly person as my downstairs neighbor.  Not only that but the room is also adjecent to our neighbors on the side with small children.  I have looked through the website and find it extremely helpful in techniques and such but I am seeking some suggestions or advice.  The size of the room is approx 11w x 12l x 8h and I would love to get ANY suggestions or products that could let me soundproof the room and my equipment enough to be able to express my musical side again.  Thank you very much.
--Eddie

Greg

Re: Soundproofing an upstairs apartment
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 02:26:37 PM »
You'll likely get responses from somebody at Soundproofing.org that will point you towards some outrageously overpriced mat that will make a tiny bit of difference (probably 10%). The reality is that there's no way to soundproof a thin construction from drumming noise, and anybody who tells you otherwise is just trying to get some of your money. There's a reason why none of these "soundproofing" products hold guarentees. Most of the time the issue is with the underlying structure of the building (or lackthereof). I would try to find a new place to practice.
: Hi, I live in an upstairs apartment that was built about 20 years ago, meaning that the walls are paper thin and so is the carpeted floor. To add to the frustration of being a drummer is the fact that I have an elderly person as my downstairs neighbor.  Not only that but the room is also adjecent to our neighbors on the side with small children.  I have looked through the website and find it extremely helpful in techniques and such but I am seeking some suggestions or advice.  The size of the room is approx 11w x 12l x 8h and I would love to get ANY suggestions or products that could let me soundproof the room and my equipment enough to be able to express my musical side again.  Thank you very much.
: --Eddie

bjnash

Re: Soundproofing an upstairs apartment
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 03:30:29 AM »
: You'll likely get responses from somebody at Soundproofing.org that will point you towards some outrageously overpriced mat that will make a tiny bit of difference (probably 10%). The reality is that there's no way to soundproof a thin construction from drumming noise, and anybody who tells you otherwise is just trying to get some of your money. There's a reason why none of these "soundproofing" products hold guarentees. Most of the time the issue is with the underlying structure of the building (or lackthereof). I would try to find a new place to practice.
: : Hi, I live in an upstairs apartment that was built about 20 years ago, meaning that the walls are paper thin and so is the carpeted floor. To add to the frustration of being a drummer is the fact that I have an elderly person as my downstairs neighbor.  Not only that but the room is also adjecent to our neighbors on the side with small children.  I have looked through the website and find it extremely helpful in techniques and such but I am seeking some suggestions or advice.  The size of the room is approx 11w x 12l x 8h and I would love to get ANY suggestions or products that could let me soundproof the room and my equipment enough to be able to express my musical side again.  Thank you very much.
: : --Eddie
Hey Greg?   Outrageously overpriced mat?  In comparison with what?  Nothing?  Contrary to Gregs belief, there are completely verified ways of dealing with sound control problems.  So maybe not dirt cheap- so what?  I wish there were ways of dealing with these problems with very cheap solutions- but not so, unless you are willing to use haybales, asphalt roll roofing, etc, or special construction as shown in the book, "Quieting, a Practical Guide to noise control".
Guarantees?  The only money back guarantees that work is when you send the product back unused.  And we honor those completely.  This site was organised so people could learn quickly and make intelligent decisions based on practical information- not mumbo-jumbo. We're still in business after 3 years on the web and 8 years before that- not a likely scenario of sucess of "pointing one to some overpriced mat making a 10 per cent difference".  We strive very hard to inform and advise- sometimes to tell people they are going about it wrong- yes, even to say they would be better off to find a better place to practice.  If you doubt this, check out the link below.