Author Topic: soundproofing new floor  (Read 2481 times)

Laurie

soundproofing new floor
« on: June 14, 2002, 08:17:17 PM »
We just put an addition on our house. The new bedroom over the kitchen will house two young boys. There is no insulation between the floors it is so loud in both directions and it seems the recessed lights in the kitchen are like microphones bewteen the two rooms. Right now the floor is just plywood and we are anxious to finish it. Carpet is out of the question because of allergies, there is little head room in the upstairs bedroom and $ is tight. I am thinking about a prefab floating floor with a layer of something under it. I am nervous that the ultra thin materials are full of chemicals and will release harmful gases. How about cork? Suggestions welcome!

boborther

Re: soundproofing new floor
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 09:18:30 PM »
You could use an underlayment of mass loaded vinyl(without the foam backing) which would block much of the airborne noise, however, it would not be that effective for impact (foot fall) noises. That's where carpet and padding are much more effective if combined with mass loaded vinyl. Also, if you do decide that carpet is your best bet, then remember to use rebond carpet padding, as it has very good soundproofing qualities.
Now as for the recessed lights I would caulk around the edge of these lights on the ceiling side, making sure all holes cracks and seams are caulked well, this should help stop the sound leakage through them from above. Good luck!
BobO.

anything