Author Topic: STC of acoustical mat  (Read 3321 times)

Frank

STC of acoustical mat
« on: June 16, 2002, 07:18:02 PM »
I'm looking for something I can attach to my existing finished ceiling (asthetics are not a priority)to help W/ some noise. I've found one product for around $1.60 sq. ft. w/ an STC rating of 26. What is the STC on your acoustical mat? 1/8"? 1/2"? Aslo, hoe much is the shipping to NYC on rolls?
Thanks
Frank

Bill Nash

Re: STC of acoustical mat
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2002, 12:35:14 AM »
: I'm looking for something I can attach to my existing finished ceiling (asthetics are not a priority)to help W/ some noise. I've found one product for around $1.60 sq. ft. w/ an STC rating of 26. What is the STC on your acoustical mat? 1/8"? 1/2"? Aslo, hoe much is the shipping to NYC on rolls?
: Thanks
: Frank
Most of the "Mass Loaded Vinyls" are similar in performance and price, but durability and whether it is "rough" (ie. untrimmed) affects the price.  Doubling it up is a practical way if increasing sound reduction, too.  Lead is even better in performance, the 2 Lb (PSF) having an STC of 32 or so.  If covered with sheetrock and not exposed, it is in a class by itself, because of it's superior performance at lower frequencies.
Also, It's best to factor in other aspect considerations rather than price- service, quality, etc on any product.  Shipping runs about $65 a roll whether MLV or lead and is delivered to your door by Fed-Ex ground.

anything