Author Topic: footfalls from below ( now that's new ..!!!! )  (Read 2570 times)

R. Chellani

footfalls from below ( now that's new ..!!!! )
« on: June 19, 2002, 02:09:16 AM »
I just moved into a 1988 condo which has 3 levels - garage & rec room at level 1, living room (carpeted) and tiled kitchen on the 2nd, and 2 bedrooms (carpeted) on the 3rd. while I am in the bedroom with my door closed, I can hear footfalls from my family members below (regardless of whether they are in the carpeted living room or the tiled kitchen), but other general sounds like voices are much less in magnitude...is the sound being transmitted thru the condo walls, or the floor ? please advise what I can do to reduce this.

bjnash

Re: footfalls from below ( now that's new ..!!!! )
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2002, 10:11:35 PM »
: I just moved into a 1988 condo which has 3 levels - garage & rec room at level 1, living room (carpeted) and tiled kitchen on the 2nd, and 2 bedrooms (carpeted) on the 3rd. while I am in the bedroom with my door closed, I can hear footfalls from my family members below (regardless of whether they are in the carpeted living room or the tiled kitchen), but other general sounds like voices are much less in magnitude...is the sound being transmitted thru the condo walls, or the floor ? please advise what I can do to reduce this.
Best to deal with this at the source.  Heavier carpet amd padding is a must.  The padding is important- use the less expensive "Reform", a recycled padding like chopped surgeons gloves.
Next, if this does not solve the problem: the same for your bedroom with the addition of SUper Soundproofing Barrier  under the carpet and padding.
Both floors should be inspected with the carpet up for crevices and gaps, these should be carefully caulked with our acoustical caulk.  If the floors squeek, now is the time to screw- not nail - them down!