Author Topic: Condo noise via adjoining wall  (Read 2732 times)

daniel

Condo noise via adjoining wall
« on: June 19, 2002, 11:13:49 PM »
I recently purchased a condo built in 1948.  The wall is 1/2 inch dry wall on both sides with ancient fiberglass insulation inside(I have opened it up to verify).  I can hear almost everything from the nieghbor who can find nothing better to do in life than have friends over to party each evening.  Our home is constantly being invaded by the sounds of loud music, loud voices and constant stair traffic (I am convinced they find using the staircase as some sort of recreational activity). Since this stairwell is on the adjoining wall it is quite an annoyance. Calling the police and the association has proven to offer only short term results. I am looking for a more conclusive solution..  Please advise....

boborther

Re: Condo noise via adjoining wall
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2002, 04:36:44 PM »
Dan,
The floated wall or the use of the mass loaded vinyl material stapled to the existing drywall would be helpful. Your existing wall may have an STC rating of 20 (if you're lucky) The vinyl mat would add STC 26 points to that, and the floated wall using the SSP sound clips would add 21 STC points (STC sound transmission class) Please go back to the website, www.soundproofing.org  and on the home page you will scroll down to a yellow block, with headers in there such as , windows, doors, music rooms, etc. Click on to the one called "Party walls" read all you can on this subject. It will give you a detailed discription of how to do these projects and help you make an intelligent decision when it comes to purchasing the materials needed.
Bob O.

anything