Author Topic: soundproofing a basment  (Read 2649 times)

tony hike

soundproofing a basment
« on: June 22, 2002, 10:54:10 PM »
Im soundproofing my basment so I can play my drums.  I have put up a wall frame around the room and I want to use styrenfoam insulation boards.  Will it prevent my sound from being caried out side. if i could get some info on this that would be great. thanx.

boborther

Re: soundproofing a basment
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2002, 10:45:21 PM »
Tony,
Styrofoam is not a really effective soundproofer,(there is really no mass to styrofoam), especially when you are trying to muffle out bass drum sounds. There are a number of things you can do, particularly if you are doing new construction, as in the "room within a room" concept. You will want to line the inside cavities of the new walls and ceiling with SSP foam mat,(the thicker the better) and of course you want to stagger the studding in these new walls. Your next step might be to float the walls and ceiling using RC (resilient channel) or the SSP sound clips. For more info on RC and the sound clips go to: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm
Now if you are serious about soundproofing, you will add a layer of the SSP flooring to your new drywall, either on the inside of your new room or on the outside, it works on either side. These are just a few suggestions, that many of our customers have found to be most effective. Hope this helps.
P.S. Don't forget to caulk all seams, cracks, and openings!!
Bob O.

anything