Author Topic: Tractor Trailer Truck Noise  (Read 3283 times)

Richard Bean

Tractor Trailer Truck Noise
« on: June 24, 2002, 02:14:58 AM »
What can I do to reduce noise from tractor trailer trucks outside (warehouse across the street - they come in and out at all hours)?  I found out about STC ratings, but new windows don't seem to have high STC ratings, if they are posted at all.  Andersen windows list ratings in the mid-20's, but Pella does not list any STC ratings.  Any suggestions?  Would replacing my exterior vinyl siding and putting more insulation underneath help?  If so, what specifically?  Any recommended contractors in the Boston, MA area?  Thanks!

boborther

Re: Tractor Trailer Truck Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2002, 10:15:55 PM »
Rich,
The best thing you can do is to follow your ears, let them lead you to exactly to where the majority of the sound is coming into the house. This is very important, for example if the sound is coming in through the ceiling, but all this time you felt it was the windows, you would have probably treated the wrong problem. You are the one who is most sensitive to the noise, and your ears will lead you right to the place where the sound is entering the house the most. From there we can work on solving the problem.
Bob O.

anything