Author Topic: foam/drop ceilings  (Read 2604 times)

fred

foam/drop ceilings
« on: June 26, 2002, 08:50:57 PM »
I notice you sell the wedgies/pyramid foam but don't really mention them in your soundproofing sections for walls or ceilings.  I have been to a few studios with foam on the ceilings/walls.  What is the STC points for 2",3", etc?  
   You say the resillient channels add 3 to 6 STC points which doesn't seem much in considering how much the mats/barriers supposedly provide and also as much space it takes.  I have a brand 2 new studio spaces connected between one wall with wood floors and sheetrock walls.  I do have quite a bit of space from my ceiling to floor but I don't necessarily want to build resillient channels and end up paying out the --- to repair the ceilings when I'm done.  The channels, mats, and lead barriers make a lot of sense and I want to get the best soundproofing as possible but I don't want to waste unnecessary time, space, or $.  Thank You very much for the help.  

boborther

Re: foam/drop ceilings
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 07:39:05 PM »
Fred,
The Weggies, and the Pyramids are for sound altering,(changing or softening the acoustics) and not for soundproofing, therefore they do not have an STC rating as such.
For soundproofing you'll need the closed cell foam mat, or the mass loaded vinyl barrier material. this along with the resilient channel or SSP sound clip systems should be most effective in any studio application.
Bob O.