Author Topic: How effective will SSP Clips and foam be?  (Read 3809 times)

Paul

How effective will SSP Clips and foam be?
« on: July 01, 2002, 03:13:15 PM »
Like many on this board, I live in a condo with neighbors upstairs who have all hardwood floors, 2 kids, and a tendancy to "heel-walk".
The stomping is not deliberate, but it can be excessive.
My biggest complaint is that sometimes if the adults are stomping, the windows rattle and you can feel it in your seat, which must mean that the vibrations are being transferred through their floor, to my ceiling joists, across to a wall beam, and down to my floor.  Even my downstairs neighbors have mentioned hearing them, and I have wall to wall carpet.  This usually happens in the living room.
The other main concern is some of my light fixtures in the hall rattling when the kids are running down theirs.  The hall lights are screwed into the fixture boxes directly above our ceiling.
Our ceiling is 1/2 inch drywall with virtually nothing but empty space between the joists, up to their plywood subfloor.
Their behavior and flooring will not change.
My ceilings are only 8 ft high.
1)Could I do the new hat-channel clips and install a 2nd ceiling below to any avail?
Has anyone here had positive results with this method?
*OR* would I need to dismantle the existing ceiling, and float that one instead?
I am considering trying it in the smaller bedroom to see how effective it is.
2)If I install a floating ceiling with the new clips in the hallway, should I close off the existing hole for the rattle-prone light fixture?
Also, what is the heat rating on the recommended acoustical material to further isolate the lights?(Or would that not be necessary once the floating ceiling is in place?)
3)Or is so much of my problem the transmitted vibrations that I should save my cash and try to move before I shoot myself?
Thanks a lot,
Paul

boborther

Re: How effective will SSP Clips and foam be?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2002, 04:13:02 PM »
Paul,
Don't shoot yourself! The first thing we would recommend is that you consult with your neighbors above. I know this is not always a "doable' option, but if they are aware of the problem, they may be willing to help. For example area rugs laid down over the hardwood floors.
As for the sound clips they do indeed work, and they work better than Resilient channel. Much depends on how these clips and hat track are installed. You can do the perfect installation, and with one wrong screw into the joists, short out the effectiveness of the entire floated ceiling. If you are not a construction kinda guy, we recommend that you find a competent contractor, or drywall installer. They are welcome to call us at anytime, and we will give them all of the installation advice they'll need, free of charge.
We have had a few posters on this board who have put down the sound clips, but we here at the SSP Co, have no idea as to their construction techniques. This is a job that is not all that complicated, but it must be carefully monitored to make sure that the wall or ceiling is indeed isolated from the wall or ceiling it is soundproofing against. The technique does work, and we have references to prove this fact. Paul, when you are ready, give me a call, and we will discuss your options further.
Sincerely,
Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales /Technical Associate
www.soundproofing.org
boborther@soundproofing.org
Phone (760) 749-7049

Chris

Re: How effective will SSP Clips and foam be?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2002, 04:59:37 PM »
The fact that your windows are rattling means that the vibrations are definitely traveling through the wall joints. In this case, floating a ceiling would have little effectiveness (you would also have to decouple the walls). I would suggest moving... Or else you will spend a lot of money and likely be disappointed.

: Like many on this board, I live in a condo with neighbors upstairs who have all hardwood floors, 2 kids, and a tendancy to "heel-walk".
: The stomping is not deliberate, but it can be excessive.
: My biggest complaint is that sometimes if the adults are stomping, the windows rattle and you can feel it in your seat, which must mean that the vibrations are being transferred through their floor, to my ceiling joists, across to a wall beam, and down to my floor.  Even my downstairs neighbors have mentioned hearing them, and I have wall to wall carpet.  This usually happens in the living room.
: The other main concern is some of my light fixtures in the hall rattling when the kids are running down theirs.  The hall lights are screwed into the fixture boxes directly above our ceiling.
: Our ceiling is 1/2 inch drywall with virtually nothing but empty space between the joists, up to their plywood subfloor.
: Their behavior and flooring will not change.
: My ceilings are only 8 ft high.
: 1)Could I do the new hat-channel clips and install a 2nd ceiling below to any avail?
: Has anyone here had positive results with this method?
: *OR* would I need to dismantle the existing ceiling, and float that one instead?
: I am considering trying it in the smaller bedroom to see how effective it is.
: 2)If I install a floating ceiling with the new clips in the hallway, should I close off the existing hole for the rattle-prone light fixture?
: Also, what is the heat rating on the recommended acoustical material to further isolate the lights?(Or would that not be necessary once the floating ceiling is in place?)
: 3)Or is so much of my problem the transmitted vibrations that I should save my cash and try to move before I shoot myself?
: Thanks a lot,
: Paul

anything