Author Topic: STS rating  (Read 3876 times)

Phil C

STS rating
« on: July 08, 2002, 03:11:19 PM »
I've begun a soundproofing project in a garage. I am building a room within a room using double layered 1/2 inch drywall mounted on 2x4. I am not using staggered stud but I have placed a sheet of heavy roll roofing material (.9 lbs per square foot, almost as much as MLV) in between each sheet of drywall to add mass. The walls are then filled with R-13 insulation.
I've left a 6 inch air space between the outerwall (concrete block) and the new inner wall. Any ideas on what kind of STS rating this will have?
Also the back of the garage is just a steel garage door with a 6 inch airspace to the inner wall. The roofing material would fall apart if added to the garage door as it has to be opened from time to time. I am going to add a third layer of drywall and another sheet of roofing to the inner wall but that probably won't be sufficient. What else should I/could I do about the garage door area?
Thanks,
Phil

boborther

Re: STS rating
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 08:37:05 PM »
Phil,
It is difficult to give you an accurate STC rating on your room within a room. The roofing material is a good choice for soundproofing on a budget, however, it would take approximately 6 layers of rolled roofing to equal one layer of the MLV. This is an estimate mind you, but roofing was not designed for soundproofing, and the MLV was.
The best thing you can do is to finish up the room within a room, and then do your tests. Hopefully you will get the sound attenuation you are wanting, if not, MLV would be your best bet. Thanks Phil, and I hope this helps you.
Bob O.

Phil C

Re: STS rating
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2002, 01:24:02 PM »
Would the addition of MLV to the internal surface of the walls after completion be effective? And would partial wall coverage be of any benefit. I have to cover about 322 square feet of area, that stuff is really expensive. Also what thickness would be adviseable?

anything