Author Topic: 1 car detached garage for drums??  (Read 2699 times)

eric

1 car detached garage for drums??
« on: December 19, 2002, 09:45:34 AM »
I am considering soundproofing my condo's 1 car detached garage to play my drums and possibly house a full band..  the thing is that it is located approximately 10-15 feet from the main two-story condo building where several unsuspecting condo owner's reside.  My question is this.. is it feasible to minimize noise enough to rock into the night :)?  I am thinking of possibly doing room-within-room with sheetrock(possibly doubled-up) on both sides of the new framing to cut costs down, or could I just use resilient channels and sheetrock on the existing structure? I would like to keep the garage functional for the next owner as well, so I won't have to tear it down for someone who doesn't need it. Also, do I have to use 2x4's for the framing for room in room or can I use something smaller, it seems bulky for a 1 car garage..  thanks.

boborther

Re: One car detached garage for drums??
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 08:47:00 PM »
Eric,
The Room within a room concept is definitely the best way to go when building a sound control studio in a garage or basement. The RWR concept leaves you with much less of an area to soundproof, plus the surrounding dead air space helps in your soundproofing endeavor.
The double drywall is a good idea, but I would consider using a layer of the "Mass Loaded Vinyl" stapled to the interior walls and ceiling of the SC room. You will need to caulk all the seams and around the perimeter of the (MLV) with an acoustical caulk, and then we would recommend applying a layer of 5/8" fire code drywall over top the (MLV) to sandwich it in. You'd would then tape, mud, and paint the interior drywall as usual.
The (MLV) will add 26 STC points to the walls and ceilings. Now think on this Eric, it would take nearly 4 layers of 5/8" FC drywall to equal one layer of the (MLV)  which is only 1/8" thick.
This is a remarkable product, and will indeed give you the sound blocking you'll need for your sound control room.
I know cost is always an issue with us musicians, but spending the money now, sure beats having the police come over to your house with complaints from the neighbors.
Eric, I hope this helps you to make the right decision on your soundproofing project. Thanks for the post.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything