Author Topic: HELP with my window plugs  (Read 3242 times)

Richard

HELP with my window plugs
« on: December 23, 2002, 10:37:36 PM »
Please help a midnight shift police officer in need. I have a problem with noisy screamning children next door to my brand new home. The noise coming in thru my single ply windows won't let me sleep. I am considering a window plug but only have 2 to 3 inches of clearence between the window glass and interior decorative wood shutters. Additionally, one of the windows I need to plug is a slider door that is approximately 7 feet high by six feet wide and only has 2.5 inches clearence between the glass/frame and the shutters. I do not wish to remove the shutters because that are custom made and are a big part of our homes design theme. This clearence problem also rules out the use of additional interior windows. Here are me questions?
1. Can I make a removable plug that will work well in my clearence restrictions?
2. If I do make a plug of your Super Soundproofing Mat, the 2" thickness of the mat may force me to rest it up against or near the window glass. Will that kill the effectivness of the plug or will the mat work even if it is touching the glass.
Please help. I thank you in advance for taking my questions.

boborther

Re: HELP with my window plugs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2002, 11:06:37 PM »
: Please help a midnight shift police officer in need. I have a problem with noisy screamning children next door to my brand new home. The noise coming in thru my single ply windows won't let me sleep. I am considering a window plug but only have 2 to 3 inches of clearence between the window glass and interior decorative wood shutters. Additionally, one of the windows I need to plug is a slider door that is approximately 7 feet high by six feet wide and only has 2.5 inches clearence between the glass/frame and the shutters. I do not wish to remove the shutters because that are custom made and are a big part of our homes design theme. This clearence problem also rules out the use of additional interior windows. Here are me questions?
: 1. Can I make a removable plug that will work well in my clearence restrictions?
: 2. If I do make a plug of your Super Soundproofing Mat, the 2" thickness of the mat may force me to rest it up against or near the window glass. Will that kill the effectivness of the plug or will the mat work even if it is touching the glass.
: Please help. I thank you in advance for taking my questions.
RICHARD,
YOU COULD ALWAYS GO WITH THE 1 1/2" CLOSED CELL FOAM FOR YOUR WINDOWS, OR POSSIBLY THE 1" MAT, BUT IN GENERAL THE 2" MATERIAL IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE.
IF THE PLUG RESTS AGAINST THE GLASS IT WILL NOT KILL THE SOUNDPROOFING QUALITIES OF THE PLUG, HOWEVER THE DEAD AIR SPACE BETWEEN THE GLASS OF THE WINDOW AND THE PLUG DOES INDEED HELP IN YOUR SOUNDPROOFING ENDEAVOR.
 NOW AS FAR AS THE 7' HIGH WINDOW, YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED A BACKING BOARD FOR THAT WINDOW, AND WOULD PROBABLY NEED TO USE AT LEAST THE 1 1/2" MATERIAL IN ORDER TO KEEP THE PLUG SEALED TIGHTLY INTO THE WINDOW FRAME.
RICH, I AM NOT POSITIVE, BUT I BELIEVE YOU CAN FIT THE WINDOW INSERT INTO THE LIMITED SPACE YOU HAVE AVAILABLE. I WILL NEED TO CHECK WITH THE MAGNET SEAL REP TO FIND OUT FOR SURE.
I SURE HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPS, CAN'T HAVE OUR BRAVE MEN IN UNIFORM LOSING SLEEP. HAVE A GREAT CHISTMAS SEASON, AND PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL IF YOU NEED FURTHER INFORMATION ON THE MAGNET SEAL WINDOWS OR THE WINDOW PLUGS. THANK YOU RICHARD.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales /Technical Associate
www.soundproofing.org
boborther@soundproofing.org
Phone (760) 749-7049
Orders only ! (888)942-7723

anything