Author Topic: build a sound barrier door  (Read 3551 times)

Richard T

build a sound barrier door
« on: December 24, 2002, 08:01:18 AM »
I need to build a 4' x 7.5' x 1 3/8" pocket door to stop sound from my theater that is otherwise well sound controlled.  I know I need to provide good air seals around the door frame itself, but I want to maximize the sound barrier effect of the door given the constraints of the thickness.  I have heavy duty tracks installed, but still want to also be careful about the weight (capacity 150 lbs) of the door.  I'm thinking about sandwiching a combo of lead and 1/4" Mlv between a nice faced 1/4" plywood inserted between a 1 3/8" thick groved frame to retain the door panel.  I'm thinking I also might apply moldings to cover screws (?) to bond the sandwiches together.  Do you have any particular sandwiching bonding suggestions?  Does this door panel construction seem like it will provide much sound protection?

boborther

Re: build a sound barrier door
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 08:48:10 PM »
: I need to build a 4' x 7.5' x 1 3/8" pocket door to stop sound from my theater that is otherwise well sound controlled.  I know I need to provide good air seals around the door frame itself, but I want to maximize the sound barrier effect of the door given the constraints of the thickness.  I have heavy duty tracks installed, but still want to also be careful about the weight (capacity 150 lbs) of the door.  I'm thinking about sandwiching a combo of lead and 1/4" Mlv between a nice faced 1/4" plywood inserted between a 1 3/8" thick groved frame to retain the door panel.  I'm thinking I also might apply moldings to cover screws (?) to bond the sandwiches together.  Do you have any particular sandwiching bonding suggestions?  Does this door panel construction seem like it will provide much sound protection?

RICHARD,
I THINK YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK, HOWEVER KEEP IN MIND THAT THE (MLV) IS ONLY 1/8" THICK AND NOT 1/4" THICK. THIS COULD BE CRUCIAL WHEN IT COMES TO A POCKET TYPE DOOR FITTING SMOOTHLY INTO IT'S POCKET CAVITY. NOT ONLY WILL YOU NEED TO SOUNDPROOF THE DOOR, BUT THE POCKET AREA WILL ALSO NEED TO BE SOUNDPROOFED, THERE WILL BE A HOLLOW AND OPEN SPACE THERE ESPECIALLY WHEN THE DOORS ARE CLOSED.
WE CARRY THE 1/64" LEAD FOIL, AS WELL AS THE 1/32" LEAD. THIS COMBINED WITH THE (MLV) WILL SURELY MAKE YOURS A VERY SOUNDPROOF DOOR.
AS PREVIOUSLY STATED BEFORE, MY ONLY CONCERN IS THE POCKET AREA, AND MAKING SURE THAT IT IS AS SOUNDPROOFED AS WELL AS THE REST OF THE WALLS, WHEN THE DOORS ARE CLOSED. THANKS FOR THE INTERESTING POST RICHARD T.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723