Author Topic: CMU Party Wall  (Read 4565 times)

Doug Tallman

CMU Party Wall
« on: December 26, 2002, 07:49:31 PM »
I have a concrete brick (8" x 16") party wall. Tons of noise from the neighbors. Any economical way to soundproof CMU party wall?
Thanks Doug

boborther

Re: CMU Party Wall
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 01:43:25 AM »
: I have a concrete brick (8" x 16") party wall. Tons of noise from the neighbors. Any economical way to soundproof CMU party wall?
: Thanks Doug
DOUG,
I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH  THE ACRONYM CMU, UNLESS IT IS SOME UNIVERSITY THAT I AM NOT AQUAINTED WITH. ACTUALLY BRICK AND MORTAR ARE GENERALLY PRETTY GOOD SOUNDPROOFERS IN THEMSELVES, HOWEVER, IF THERE ARE CRACKS IN THE BRICK OR MORTAR, THAT WOULD VIRTUALLY NEGATE THE SOUNDPROOFING QUALITIES THIS WALL AND SOUND WOULD PASS THROUGH IT READILY.
YOU NEED TO CHECK THE WALL FOR CRACKS HOLES AND GAPS, AND THEN CAULK THOSE AREAS WITH ACOUSTICAL CAULK. ONCE THAT IS COMPLETE, YOU WILL WANT TO FRAME OUT A NEW FALSE WALL. THIS NEW WALL WILL BE DRYWALLED FIRST AND THEN WE WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU LAYER THE NEW WALL WITH A MATERIAL CALLED "MASS LOADED VINYL" (MLV) FOR SHORT. THIS WOULD ADD 26 STC POINTS TO THE NEW WALL. YOU WOULD THEN LAYER OVER TOP OF THE (MLV) WITH A LAYER OF 5/8" FIRE CODE DRYWALL (SANDWICHING IT IN), TAPE, MUD, AND PAINT THE NEW WALL AS USUAL.
DOUG, THIS COMBINATION WOULD BRING YOUR WALL TO NEARLY A 40 STC (SOUND TRANSMISSION CLASS) AND THAT'S NOT EVEN COUNTING THE SOUNDPROOFING QUALITIES OF THE EXISTING BRICK WALL.
I KNOW THIS MAY SOUND A LITTLE COMPLICATED, BUT IN REALITY IT IS QUITE SIMPLE, AND IT WILL GET YOU THE SOUNDPROOFING YOU NEED FROM THE PARTY WALL.
PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL IF I CAN BE OF ANY FURTHER ASSISTANCE. THANKS FOR THE POST DOUG.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything