Author Topic: Help! Neighbors and elevators!  (Read 2862 times)

Lori

Help! Neighbors and elevators!
« on: December 27, 2002, 12:28:13 AM »
The bedroom has 1 wall adjacent to neighbors - I can hear both their dog and their phone ringing and at times their voices.  The bedroom windows are  catty-corner to the living room windows of these neighbors, and we each have air conditioners in the windows closest to each other.  The apartment is also partially behind the elevator shaft so I can hear the whirring of the elevators in the bathroom and the bedroom.  While the bathroom is windowless, it does have a vent with passive air flow.  But just to complicate matters - there are 2 closets on the wall behind the elevators - does it make more sense to soundproof the doors or to soundproof the interiors of those closets?  Basically, I just don't know whether to seek professional help or try to do it myself to keep the cost down.

boborther

Re: Help! Neighbors and elevators!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 08:34:54 PM »
: The bedroom has 1 wall adjacent to neighbors - I can hear both their dog and their phone ringing and at times their voices.  The bedroom windows are  catty-corner to the living room windows of these neighbors, and we each have air conditioners in the windows closest to each other.  The apartment is also partially behind the elevator shaft so I can hear the whirring of the elevators in the bathroom and the bedroom.  While the bathroom is windowless, it does have a vent with passive air flow.  But just to complicate matters - there are 2 closets on the wall behind the elevators - does it make more sense to soundproof the doors or to soundproof the interiors of those closets?  Basically, I just don't know whether to seek professional help or try to do it myself to keep the cost down.
LORI,
YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE MORE THAN ONE SOUNDPROOFING ISSUE. I WILL DO MY BEST TO ADDRESS THEM ALL. FIRST OF ALL, THE BEDROOM WALL WHICH ADJOINS THE NEIGHBORS WALL. THIS WALL COULD BE LAYERED WITH THE MASS LOADED VINYL (MLV). THIS IS A 1/8" VINYL MATERIAL THAT IS EXCELLENT FOR BLOCKING VOICES AND NOISES SUCH AS DOGS BARKING AND TELEPHONES RINGING. THIS VINYL WOULD BE ADHERED TO THE WALL WITH EITHER A HEAVY DUTY STAPLE GUN, OR WITH CONTACT CEMENT, OR A COMBINATION OF BOTH. THEN WE WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU ATTACH A LAYER OF 5/8" FIRE CODE  DRYWALL, OR HOMASOTE OR EVEN SOUND BOARD TO SANDWICH IN THE VINYL. YOU'D THEN TAPE, MUD, AND PAINT THE DRYWALL, HOMASOTE, OR SOUNDBOARD AS USUAL. THIS SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THIS SOUND ISSUE.
NEXT WOULD BE THE A/C UNITS IN THE WINDOWS. IF THESE UNITS ARE NOT BEING USED DURING THE WINTER MONTHS, I RECOMMENDED THAT YOU COVER THE VENT AREAS TO BLOCK THE SOUND TRANSMISSION FROM THEIR UNIT INTO YOURS. THE CLOSED CELL FOAM WOULD WORK IN THIS APPLICATION.
LORI, KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU CAN HEAR THE NEIGHBORS, THEY CAN ALSO HEAR YOU. BLOCKING OFF THE VENT AREAS OF THE A/C UNITS WILL DEFINITELY HELP FOR SOUNDPROOING THOSE AREAS.
NOW FINALLY, THE CLOSETS. HERE WE HAVE A CROSSROADS. SOUNDPROOFING THE DOORS ONLY MIGHT DO THE TRICK, BUT IF THE DOORS ARE THE TYPICAL HOLLOW CORE DOORS, THAT PRESENTS A SOUNDPROOFING CHALLENGE THAT ONCE COMPLETED MIGHT NOT GIVE YOU THE RESULTS YOU WANT. THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO GET SOLID CORE DOORS FOR BOTH CLOSETS, AND THEN SOUNDPROOF THOSE DOORS RATHER THAN TRYING TO SOUNDPROOF A HOLLOW CORE DOOR. SOUNDPROOFING THE ENTIRE CLOSET IS ANOTHER OPTION THAT DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE CLOSET, MIGHT BE A VERY EFFECTIVE AND ECONOMICAL WAY TO SOUNDPROOF THAT AREA FROM THE THE ELEVATOR SHAFT NOISES.
LORI, I HAVE PRESENTED YOU WITH MANY OPTIONS HERE, BUT YOU MUST BE THE ONE TO BEST DETERMINE WHAT WILL, OR WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL US WITH ANY CONCERNS OR QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE. THANKS FOR THE INTERESTING POST . SEE THE LINKS BELOW ALSO.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/windowplug.htm

anything