Author Topic: Soundproofing one ceiling or the entire apartment?  (Read 3406 times)

JG

Soundproofing one ceiling or the entire apartment?
« on: December 27, 2002, 06:28:34 AM »
The upstairs neighbor spends a great deal of time in his study directly above mine, and he plays music in this room at a high volume.  If I float the ceiling in my study, will it help to eliminate the bass thumping that bleeds into the other rooms besides the one directly below him?  Thanks for your help.  The building has a basic wood floors/plaster ceiling design.

boborther

Re: Soundproofing one ceiling or the entire apartment?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 08:54:56 PM »
: The upstairs neighbor spends a great deal of time in his study directly above mine, and he plays music in this room at a high volume.  If I float the ceiling in my study, will it help to eliminate the bass thumping that bleeds into the other rooms besides the one directly below him?  Thanks for your help.  The building has a basic wood floors/plaster ceiling design.
JG,
FLOATING THE CEILING WOULD DEFINITELY HELP TO ISOLATE THE BASS SOUNDS FROM COMING DOWN INTO YOUR STUDY ROOM.
I WOULD HOWEVER RECOMMEND THAT THE CEILING FLOAT BE DONE WITH THE SSP SOUND CLIPS AS OPPOSED TO THE RESILIENT CHANNEL. THE SOUND CLIPS WILL VIRTUALLY DOUBLE THE SOUNDROOFING OVER THE (RC) APPLICATION. NOW FOR EXTRA SOUND ISOLATION, YOU MIGHT CONSIDER LAYERING THE NEW FLOATED CEILING WITH A LAYER OF THE MASS LOADED VINYL, AND THEN SANDWICH THAT IN WITH A LAYER OF 5/8" FIRE CODE DRYWALL. YOU WOULD CAULK THE SEAMS OF THE VINYL, AND AROUND THE PERIMETER OF THE CEILING, ESPECIALLY IN THE 1/4" GAP THAT YOU WILL HAVE BETWEEEN THE NEW FLOATED CEILING, AND THE ADJOINING WALLS. THIS PARTICULAR COMBINATION WOULD BRING YOUR NEW CEILING TO A LEVEL OF BETWEEN 50 AND 55 STC POINTS. THAT WOULD MUFFLE OUT LOUD SHOUTING, AND LOUD MUSIC FROM THE AREA ABOVE.
JG, WE ALWAYS STRIVE FOR COMPLETE SOUNDPROOFING, BUT OFTEN WE SETTLE FOR GETTING THE NOISE DOWN TO TOLLERABLE LEVELS, AND THAT IS WHAT THIS COMBINATION WILL DO FOR YOUR CEILING.
I HOPE THIS HAS BEEN HELPFUL TO YOU. THE BEST OF LUCK IN ALL OF YOUR SOUNDPROOFING ENDEAVORS.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

Jason

Re: Soundproofing one ceiling or the entire apartment?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 04:07:27 PM »
I just moved into a new construction apt. building and we have hard wood floors.  My upstairs neighbor isn't putting down wall to wall carpet in the bedroom above mine and it appears there is absolutely no insulation b/c i hear everything.  It is driving me crazy and wakes me up every day.  Is there a foam that can be sprayed into the ceiling?