Author Topic: Which option to soundproof a wall.  (Read 2910 times)

Andrew Falk

Which option to soundproof a wall.
« on: December 27, 2002, 10:41:53 AM »
I want to soundproof a shared wall. I've read a good amount of the info on this website. It seems there are a number of options: 1. frame & sheet rock a new wall that doesn't touch the existing wall.  2. hang MLV & cover it with sheet rock.  3. hang lead sheet.  4. hang sheet rock using "sound clips" and hat channel.... If I had to choose just one of these options, which would give me the greatest reduction in sound passing through the wall?

boborther

Re: Which option to soundproof a wall.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 09:18:47 PM »
: I want to soundproof a shared wall. I've read a good amount of the info on this website. It seems there are a number of options: 1. frame & sheet rock a new wall that doesn't touch the existing wall.  2. hang MLV & cover it with sheet rock.  3. hang lead sheet.  4. hang sheet rock using "sound clips" and hat channel.... If I had to choose just one of these options, which would give me the greatest reduction in sound passing through the wall?
ANDREW,
A LOT DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF NOISE COMING THROUGH THE WALL. IF IT IS ORDINARY SOUNDS SUCH AS TELEPHONES AND VOICES, THEN THE (MLV) STAPLED TO THE DRYWALL AND THEN LAYERED WITH ANOTHER LAYER OF 5/8' FIRE CODE ROCK WOULD PROBABLY DO THE TRICK. IF IMPACT SOUNDS ARE COMING THROUGH THE COMMON WALL, SUCH AS HAMMERING NOISES, OR THINGS SIMULAR TO HAMMERING, THEN A FLOATED WALL (USING THE SSP SOUND CLIPS) MIGHT JUST BE THE TICKET.
THE LEAD SHEETING WOULD BE GOOD IF THERE ARE A LOT OF BASS OR LOW FREQUENCY SOUNDS COMING THROUGH THE WALL.
I PERSONALLY FEEL THAT YOUR FIRST OPTION WOULD TAKE UP TOO MUCH WALL SPACE AND THAT ONE OF THE OTHER 3 OPTIONS WOULD BE BETTER IN YOUR APPLICATION.
ANDREW, I SURE HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION. THANKS FOR THE POST.

Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

anything