Author Topic: noise from vents  (Read 3309 times)

km

noise from vents
« on: December 27, 2002, 10:09:29 PM »
I live in a condo and I am getting a great deal of noise(people talking from above) coming though the air vents in my bathroom and kitchen. What can I do to reduce or eliminate this.  The heat/air is common for the building so I think these ducts go from the 4th floor to the first(4 floor building)Any advise would be greatly appreciated

boborther

Re: noise from vents
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2002, 01:21:08 AM »
: I live in a condo and I am getting a great deal of noise(people talking from above) coming though the air vents in my bathroom and kitchen. What can I do to reduce or eliminate this.  The heat/air is common for the building so I think these ducts go from the 4th floor to the first(4 floor building)Any advise would be greatly appreciated
KM,
THE ONLY THING I CAN SUGGEST IS THAT YOU LINE THE INSIDE OF YOUR VENT (REGISTER) AND DUCT WORK WITH SOME OF THE CLOSED CELL FOAM MAT. (LINE THE INSIDE OF THE DUCTING AS FAR AS YOU CAN REACH. USE THE THICKEST FOAM POSSIBLE THAT WILL NOT RESTRICT THE AIR FLOW IN THE DUCTING. THIS WILL NOT ELIMINATE THE SOUNDS OF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLETELY, BUT IT WILL DEADEN SOME OF THE VIBRATION IN THE DUCTING, AND WILL ABSORB A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF THE SOUNDS BEING TRANSMITTED. ALSO, IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO ALL OF THE DUCTING, ADHERING THE CLOSED CELL FOAM TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE DUCT WILL BE HELPFUL, AS IT WILL FURTHER CUT DOWN ON THE VIBRATION AND DAMPEN MUCH OF THE SOUND TRANSMISSION IN THE DUCTS.
IF THE HEAT/AIR CON DUCTS ARE COMMON TO ALL THE CONDO'S THIS GIVES THE SOUND A DIRECT FUNNELED PATH INTO YOUR BATHROOM/KITCHEN OR OTHER LIVING SPACES. OTHER THAN THE FOAM, THERE IS NOT MUCH HOPE OF SQUELCHING THESE SOUNDS UNLESS YOU CLOSE OFF THE VENT REGISTER.  I HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPS KM. THANK YOU FOR YOUR POST.
Bob Orther
Super Soundproofing Sales/Technical Associate.
Ph: (760) 749-7049    FAX: (760) 749-6384
URL: www.soundproofing.org
e-mail: boborther@soundproofing.org
For orders only (888) 942-7723

anything